1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Please explain the bolded portion above.

More connected is the upperbody following the lower/torso body. Not allot of slop in the sequence. You could force connection, make the hands go along for the ride, by creating the box and just turning the box. Mankin called connection transfer mechanics. It was this idea of transfer mechanics that lead to the idea of connection. There is nothing wrong with the idea of connection. The hands/barrel following the lead of the hips/torso with little slop or independent actions created within the swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks Shawn, maybe I don’t understand the def of turn the barrel. I do agree with RD that I am over coaching but looking to try and get a certain feel I guess as well.

Is there a drill or anything you suggest to accomplish getting connected? I think I understand the rotational point on hands but curious how to accomplish that without a bit of snapping teacherman style. I think it may have been a Pujols practice video where he twitched on the first and swung at the second pitch. That is the feel I am trying to understand a way to teach. I just can’t feel a way to get that twitch to happen without a little hands action. Otherwise the barrel just seems to stay up in space. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks again for all the comments.

I believe when when you set up the back hip as the axis of rotation, you create a deep rotational point for the hands. The hands/barrel is turned through this deep rotational axis. The hands are a rotational point for the barrel to swing. You don't turn the barrel with the hands, the forearms create structure to the hands as the rotational point.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
More connected is the upperbody following the lower/torso body. Not allot of slop in the sequence. You could force connection, make the hands go along for the ride, by creating the box and just turning the box. Mankin called connection transfer mechanics. It was this idea of transfer mechanics that lead to the idea of connection. There is nothing wrong with the idea of connection. The hands/barrel following the lead of the hips/torso with little slop or independent actions created within the swing.
Sounds like you would like to see the swing launched with more involvement of the lower body.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I believe when when you set up the back hip as the axis of rotation, you create a deep rotational point for the hands. The hands/barrel is turned through this deep rotational axis. The hands are a rotational point for the barrel to swing. You don't turn the barrel with the hands, the forearms create structure to the hands as the rotational point.

At what point in the swing do you consider the back hip to be the axis of the swing's rotation?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
First, congratulations. Your daughter's swing looks to be the result of exactly what you focused on ... "we were not as focused on the lower half but appreciate any comments on that as well. Our main focus here was TTB, more of a teacherman style from what i gather. Snapping so that the vertical barrel moves from somewhere around 12 oclock to 9 oclock on a vertical plane to initiate the swing, or more of a top down. Trying to get top hand/bottom hand quickly in position, and as the torso/core starts to work then the hands follow to get the bat on plane sooner."

The question you should ask yourself is if this was a good focus point. You ignored the torso-engine ... not a great idea IMO.

The data you collected is real ... your daughter lost swing speed ... -7mph ... and your daughter lost hand speed ... -3mph.

Why collect the data if you aren't going to use it.

If you are going to use it, then is the objective to lose barrel speed and hand speed? Not usually.

Add back the torso-engine and then lets see the result.

Thanks. I guess I am not sure what is a good focus point which is why I am posting to ask those questions. No, the goal isn’t to slow down swing or hand speed. Just trying to figure out what to focus on. What I think I am hearing not on barrel but instead torso. Kinda - if you build it they will come. If you torso it barrel will follow.

I am collecting the data to be able to use it which is why I posted that as well. Turning the barrel and getting deep in the zone have been a lot of what I have seen people talk about here. Just not a lot of clear and simple instruction on how to do it.

If the focus was getting on plane earlier and deeper, yes she got it but to your point at what expense, speed and power.

I will see what we can do on the torso and post again soon. Thanks again for the feedback.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

Is there any emphasis to snapping the barrel down like Teacherman shows at any point during the rotation?

I am not advocating him one way or the other, just find it an interesting concept to get the barrel to the path early.

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Sounds like you would like to see the swing launched with more involvement of the lower body.

Well more torso the legs are trying to turn the body and the hands/arms are trying to turn the barrel. This is a rotational swing (spinning), legs and arms trying to turn the body/bat. There is to much rotation taking place, legs trying to turn the body and hands/arms trying to turn the barrel.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is there any emphasis to snapping the barrel down like Teacherman shows at any point during the rotation?

I am not advocating him one way or the other, just find it an interesting concept to get the barrel to the path early.

Thanks.

I don't buy that all you need to do is TTB with the hands. I absolutely don't buy the rearward snapping from a vertical position to back toward the catcher, I think your hitter is proof of that fallacy.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
High tee drill. One of the easiest ways to teach kids to turn the barrel. Get in an athletic position. Set up with the knob at the same height as the ball. No stride/momentum. Turn it. Laser it. Supinate your rear forearm.

dkTg215.gif
[/IMG]

Do this. Her hands are way to far away from her body. Start over here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802