1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That is all TM material and verbiage. But IMO you don't want to put the carriage in front of the horse. Learning to turn the barrel is priority number 1.

If you put the carriage in front of the horse then you are pushing the carriage. Better to pull. And that is what the torso-engine does. Would seem that you would need to teach the torso-engine and sequence.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks, just so i am clear, you are saying this hitter needs more tilt? As this is the High Tee drill, how does one get more tilt on a high tee drill. or would you advocate a regular height tee drill that emphasizes the tilt more that turn?

I should have been more clear. This hitter is demonstrating "more tilt, less turn".

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In searching more on TTB, FFS, i think this is a video you commented on as the opposite of what Bustos was promoting. In any case i think this is more of the effect i was looking for.

https://twitter.com/BRrebellion/status/1021892885741010944

This is sort of correct. He is suggesting that the main engine (the torso) turns and that the hand/forearm engine turns while the main engine turns. He is promoting staying short as opposed to pushing. All good stuff. Missing is that the rear forearm is simply performing a short looping throw-like action (arm action) that keeps the short orientation.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This is sort of correct. He is suggesting that the main engine (the torso) turns and that the hand/forearm engine turns while the main engine turns. He is promoting staying short as opposed to pushing. All good stuff. Missing is that the rear forearm is simply performing a short looping throw-like action (arm action) that keeps the short orientation.

Thanks, is that short looping action a result of torso pull? elbow slot cue? or hand snap? or combination of all following the torso? i ask because it seems the barrel would still lag without some type of direction from hands. just trying to figure out how much work hands do, thanks. and that may be the hands/forearm engine you speak of, just not sure how that is triggered.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks, is that short looping action a result of torso pull? elbow slot cue? or hand snap? or combination of all following the torso? i ask because it seems the barrel would still lag without some type of direction from hands. just trying to figure out how much work hands do, thanks. and that may be the hands/forearm engine you speak of, just not sure how that is triggered.

No, it is an action independent of the main-engine (torso-engine).

Some describe it as a combination of adduction of the upper arm (i.e., slotting) and superination of the rear forearm ... but it can be considered a simple independent forearm action.

The intent is to be 'short' ... i.e., to keep the top-hand close to the rear shoulder while performing an independent action, while the main-engine is turning/rotating/twisting/re-orientating.

For some of my hitters it helps to consider being 'short' as not prematurely losing the 'vee orientation' in their rear arm (i.e., not pushing).

Here is a snap-shot of Sierra pre-impact.

Pre-Contact.jpg

If you could freeze her arm orientation to her torso at this point ... and un-twist and un-turn her torso back to it's original orientation ... her hands would still be behind her. That is how much the torso-engine works ... and it is why when kids don't use their torso-engine correctly they tend to 'push'.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
No, it is an action independent of the main-engine (torso-engine).

Some describe it as a combination of adduction of the upper arm (i.e., slotting) and superination of the rear forearm ... but it can be considered a simple independent forearm action.

The intent is to be 'short' ... i.e., to keep the top-hand close to the rear shoulder while performing an independent action, while the main-engine is turning/rotating/twisting/re-orientating.

For some of my hitters it helps to consider being 'short' as not losing the 'vee orientation' in their rear arm.

Here is a snap-shot of Sierra pre-impact.

Pre-Contact.jpg

If you could freeze her arm orientation to her torso at this point ... and un-twist and un-turn her torso back to it's original orientation ... her hands would still be behind her. That is how much the torso-engine works ... and it is why when kids don't use their torso-engine correctly they tend to 'push'.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. I think the combination of upper arm adduction and supination of rear forearm is the motion we are trying to emulate. The best cue for my DD to date has been that TM hand snap. I think if we get to a point to add the scap load and tilt from Matt A and others, we may be getting there. Just need to get the torso and bottom half getting where they need to be before hand.

Dec 4, 2013
If you put the carriage in front of the horse then you are pushing the carriage. Better to pull. And that is what the torso-engine does. Would seem that you would need to teach the torso-engine and sequence.

The way I do it now you cannot advance until you master barrel turn. I used to blend a bunch of things together and teach multiple things at once, but have found it much more beneficial for me to teach barrel turn independently, first.

No stride, no momentum.

Master snap stops. Master full low effort wall swing. Increase effort. High tee as well.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The way I do it now you cannot advance until you master barrel turn. I used to blend a bunch of things together and teach multiple things at once, but have found it much more beneficial for me to teach barrel turn independently, first.

No stride, no momentum.

Master snap stops. Master full low effort wall swing. Increase effort. High tee as well.

As I teach the main-engine (torso-engine) ... during the initial twitch there are multiple actions that I want ... one is the rear forearm going up into an independent looping action (while remaining 'short' ... maintaining the 'vee' in the rear arm) ... another is the "short hands" leveling of the lead-arm ... another is the semi-retraction that takes place in the rear shoulder ... another is the arching of the rear lower back. I've found that I can get a hitter "turning the barrel" without ever mentioning the words "turn the barrel".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802