1ST BASE POSITIONING

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
With LHBs still a rarety, the positioning of the 1B is way down my priority list when it comes to in-game management.

However, at 10U, I'm OK with her playing even or a step or two behind the bag with no one on. The slower the pitcher, the farther I'd have her off the line. If a 10U-C level player can drop a bunt down 1B line - my hat's off to them - she can have 1B. Bunting just isn't part of the game yet for us - it's more about being able to cover 1B than cover a bunt.

Left hand batters a rarity? Our team (12U) has 10 lefties. Gotta know the girls love it when they see 1B playing all the way back by the bag.

Jul 22, 2015
For you coaches, I often see at young ages that the 1st base plays close to the bag no matter how many outs or who's on etc. I know in baseball you'll see the 1st base play well off the bag, close to the grass line, especially in 0 out situations, no body on, lefty vs righty hitter etc. Is it the same in fastpitch?
You'll generally see the 1B play in more than in baseball, but as you move up in age you will see them back more often. With LH hitter, especially when they appear to be a power hitter, we will play them back more often. I played 1B as a baseball player and you'll almost never see a SB 1B play as far behind the bag as we did because the bases are just too close and it doesn't take much for even an average speed runner to beat out a bunt.

Jul 31, 2019
I will move my 1B back if:

2 outs, 2 strikes

slower hitter if I have a quick fielding pitcher

runner on first with a power type hitter up

I may also show 1B back, then slide them in once pitcher sets to pitch

Nov 9, 2020
ok, all makes sense and thanks. I guess what I am trying to determine is where they stand after the play pitch. The catcher is going to throw down for a pick off attempt (runner off first) where does a LF 1B set up to receive that throw? Do they just stand off the base and take the throw and swipe back? or set up in foul territory almost straddling the base and put the tag down on the feet?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
First should play ahead of the bag on most pitches, but not more than a step or so. Dropping back for a fly ball just behind the bag shouldn't be a problem, or you need to look for a new 1B. Anything in the short OF grass behind on the right side belongs to 2B. With two strikes, nothing wrong with moving 1B back.

How about when there is a runner on 1st and the C attempts a pick? Can you set up in foul territory for the throw? it seems like it would be easier for a LH but not sure you can do that.

Everyone needs to be in fair territory at the pitch. Even if you could get to the spot you describe for a pickoff attempt, the bag is between the fielder trying to make the tag and the runner...not what you want. Best positioning is just inside the bag. For a righty, offset slightly towards 2B...tag swept straight back with the catch....between runner and bag. For a lefty...left heel on dirt at 1B corner on the foul line...catch and sweep back towards opposite corner....between runner and bag. Obviously, it's a low percentage play, the main advantage is to keep runners a bit closer and signal that the catcher is good and is willing to throw anywhere. You don't even want to consider doing this unless your catcher - 1B combo is practiced and rock-solid.

Jul 22, 2015
ok, all makes sense and thanks. I guess what I am trying to determine is where they stand after the play pitch. The catcher is going to throw down for a pick off attempt (runner off first) where does a LF 1B set up to receive that throw? Do they just stand off the base and take the throw and swipe back? or set up in foul territory almost straddling the base and put the tag down on the feet?
Regardless of R or L hand, you won't want them directly on the bag at the time of the pitch, so they'll be moving back towards the bag to take the throw. There shouldn't be any way for them to make it all the way back to the bag, pivot, and take a throw (unless the catcher was too slow to even bother throwing), so every play would be a catch and swipe tag.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478