1984 Mike White pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Umpiring in NZ used to be the absolute pits, and all were volunteer umpires. No money or $10 NZD ($5USD) at the time. I'm pretty sure that's changed somewhat now, I know there are a lot more umpires NOW than then, and even when I was there (1990-2000) . NZ softball has some corporate sponsors so I think they may have invested some in the umpiring.

Apr 28, 2019
I just rechecked it..... the lefty CanAm pitcher is Mark Smith. He's the Canadian women's Olympic coach, and in about every HoF known to man for pitching and hitting. He was in his early 20's here too.

For those keeping score at home, I was 12 when this was filmed. I'd be playing in NZ 6 years later.

Ok that makes sense. The announcers were calling Mike Smith Mark Smith on a few occasions.

Jul 14, 2008
Jimmy Moore - the skinny tall right hander for Canam that came in late in the game - is my favorite. His change-up was incredible.
Too bad the only views are from behind.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Ichiro would've been a great fastpitch player. Of course, he did ok in baseball too and he'd have to give up his millions he made from baseball, so then again maybe not. Where are you located?
I live in Norman,OK now. I grew up in MA.

Aug 21, 2008
Ok that makes sense. The announcers were calling Mike Smith Mark Smith on a few occasions.

The mispronunciation is "Mike". His name is MARK SMITH. As I said, he's young in this video but is now the Canadian national team coach (women).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802