19 Sluggers defective?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Because every rule book says that bats must be free of "rattles, dents, burrs, cracks and sharp edges" (NFHS wording specifically).

It doesn't provide any exceptions or exclusions. It doesn't provide me with any reasoning.

My honest opinion -- that shouldn't be my job as an umpire. I should not be checking your equipment as a preventative measure. I should not be touching YOUR equipment.

I have NO formal training. I have no formal education in the engineering, design, or construction of bats. NOBODY -- let me say that again: NOBODY provides umpires with any training of any kind on this subject. Even when directly asked, neither the bat manufacturers not the codes who write the rulebooks will even discuss the subject. But I am required to perform duties well outside the scope of my knowledge, training, and ability. Big BIG fiasco.
Agree with everything you said. Hey I'll add this- maybe its time for the sanctions to work on the wording. When that rule was written many moons ago bats weren't three/four bills!

Apr 28, 2019
Again, I have no professionally educated opinion ... I've been told that is everything from a "sand rattle" (dirt inside the bat) to the glue breaking apart to the fibers inside the bat flaking off. I don't know what it is. I don't know how bats are made. I just know "If it rattles, it is illegal (or damaged, by NFHS rules)."

That said, as a layperson ... resin and glue are used to hold things together. If the resin/glue has become dried or brittle to the point it is breaking loose inside ... that doesn't sound like "not a safety issue" to me.

As an umpire, I have no measure of performance and that is not why I toss bats. Performance is above my paygrade. (Literally -- that is performed pre-tournament with a compression checker, not by an umpire on the field.)

The issue with the glue/resin coming loose is that in my experience they don’t rattle all the time. Almost like they find their way back too the place they broke away from or a hollow spot.
My guess is that it’s “extra” resin/glue that made it past QC. I understand your in a tough spot and your not making any friends when you toss bats.
Is the inspection supposed to be just visual? Is actually shaking the bat a requirement?
I agree umps shouldn’t be responsible for checking bats prior to game. However during a game if any equipment fails the umps/coaches are generally going to notice and make sure item damaged is tossed/replaced. Kind of a slippery slope I guess.
Maybe it’s the coaches job to make sure his players equipment is in good working order?
Yes, in particular if you don't hit it perfectly on the barrel..maybe she barrels up every ball?? 😂

Yes, in particular if you don't hit it perfectly on the barrel..maybe she barrels up every ball?? 😂

As long as she’s not complaining her hands are stinging I guess it’s all good. At that age it seems to be about favorite color/brand and less about performance.
I find it a little curious that the college girls/ladies seem to prefer the 1 pc Carbon over the 2 Piece PC’s & TI bats.
I know I swung my old Easton softball bat 34” 31oz and it felt like a lead pipe and stung like crazy.
I was hitting off the tee with one of my DD’s at a local field playing HR Derby and I’m happy to say all li

Jun 8, 2016
As long as she’s not complaining her hands are stinging I guess it’s all good. At that age it seems to be about favorite color/brand and less about performance.
I find it a little curious that the college girls/ladies seem to prefer the 1 pc Carbon over the 2 Piece PC’s & TI bats.
I know I swung my old Easton softball bat 34” 31oz and it felt like a lead pipe and stung like crazy.
I was hitting off the tee with one of my DD’s at a local field playing HR Derby and I’m happy to say all li
She was going to use the 1 piece Mizuno (31 drop 10) in the spring and the plan was to have her switch to the 32 drop 10 in the Fall but with what is going on I just said the heck with it and have had her work with the 32. Her bat speed/swing isn't effected by using the bigger bat it seems.

Apr 28, 2019
Another one just bit the dust. We are fresh out of '18 Ghosts. They had a good run. This one while a former mens fp player was pitching to her. Big nasty shark tooth cracks out of no where. Out of warranty, out of luck, lol

She is now swinging an Advanced full time until I can figure something out. I'm hoping there are some -8's floating around out there on sale cheap. we got the advanced from Core quite awhile ago but she hasn't put many swings on it. She pretty much hates the feel until she bashes the barrel to mush.

The Advanced is definitely better than all the other Ghosts. More pop, and hopefully more durable.

We were on a larger field on Monday used for HS secondary field and slowpitch league. 260” down the lines and 276” to center.
DD # 1 was one hopping the fence with Adv to LC & C.
Lowest backstop I’ve ever seen. DD # 2 was fouling balls with all bats into the duck pond behind home. 🤣

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Glue rattling doesnt mean any glued piece is coming apart. Means an endcap has too big
of a wad put on it and it sits inside the endcap until swung..then it breaks off and thats the pebbling
you hear rattling around. Sometimes it finds a spot to settle as bats have inner tech, and you dont
hear it after that. Sometimes you seem to always hear it...haha. Nothing is wrong or will ever
be wrong with that bat.

The problem is, an altered bat will have sand rattles when the fibers start flaking. BUT, a
perfectly fine bat will have sand rattles as well.

I HATE umps being put in the middle of having to tell parents their kid cant use their bat they
just paid good money to have because a damn gluebie came off or a sand rattle. Always
been a fan of compression. If it fails, boot it. If it doesnt, let it play...plain and simple. Not
this crap of, hey ump, if it rattles or makes any sound, boot it. Oh, wait...the bat clicks when
you violently shake it...haha...toss it.

May 29, 2015
Yes i'm aware that the book says that. My question was not directed to you and why you do it, it was directed at the reason for the rule to be on the books. I mean ....... a rattle in the handle that is clearly something very small and light such as a piece of resin shouldn't be a problem imo.

10-4 ... I thought you were asking me. :)

When you get an answer, please let my estate know. ;)

I think one thing you say points out the issue (and I'll probably say this in another reply in a moment) ... "a rattle in the handle that is clearly ..."

It isn't clearly anything. None of us can see inside that bat. We can't disassemble it and see what is going on.

If your car engine started making an odd noise, would you be fine with it? If your joints in your body started making an odd noise, would you be fine with it? My point being: it isn't designed to do that, so doing that is considered an indicator of something gone wrong.

Or something like that. :p

May 29, 2015
The issue with the glue/resin coming loose is that in my experience they don’t rattle all the time. Almost like they find their way back too the place they broke away from or a hollow spot.

Precisely. I've tossed bats and then allowed a team to use them the next game. Why? It rattled the first game. It didn't rattle the second game. When I think I hear a rattle, I do a couple of things. First, I do "turn it over". I won't tamp it on the ground (it's not mine, so I'm not smacking it on the ground), but I will turn it end over end. If it doesn't rattle after that, it's good. Second, I have my partner check it. If she or he says "I doesn't hear it", I will listen again. Sometimes it passes, sometimes it doesn't.

My guess is that it’s “extra” resin/glue that made it past QC. I understand your in a tough spot and your not making any friends when you toss bats.

Actually, in my experience it is pretty rare for somebody to get mad. I would say 75% of the time I'm not the first one, and it isn't the first time they have heard it. Then again, I will grab the player and the coach and explain the issue so they both know and understand. I'll even gladly talk to the parent to explain (when it is appropriate -- not going to hold up the game for that one).

Is the inspection supposed to be just visual? Is actually shaking the bat a requirement?
I agree umps shouldn’t be responsible for checking bats prior to game. However during a game if any equipment fails the umps/coaches are generally going to notice and make sure item damaged is tossed/replaced. Kind of a slippery slope I guess.

You can't see a rattle. ;) The inspection should be physical. Some umpires will actually use a bat ring to check for dents (yes, there is a ring made for checking bats). I lightly run my hand over it for that part, turning it and looking for any cracks in the process.

Maybe it’s the coaches job to make sure his players equipment is in good working order?

This, this, this! It ABSOLUTELY is the coach's responsibility. In fact, NFHS has made that a point of emphasis.

Mar 28, 2014
10-4 ... I thought you were asking me. :)

When you get an answer, please let my estate know. ;)

I think one thing you say points out the issue (and I'll probably say this in another reply in a moment) ... "a rattle in the handle that is clearly ..."

It isn't clearly anything. None of us can see inside that bat. We can't disassemble it and see what is going on.

If your car engine started making an odd noise, would you be fine with it? If your joints in your body started making an odd noise, would you be fine with it? My point being: it isn't designed to do that, so doing that is considered an indicator of something gone wrong.

Or something like that. :p
well a car engine has moving parts...................... and about 1,000 of them versus a bat with zero moving parts and only 2 or 3 pieces so not following your analogy. A bat is such a simple item. I don't understand why a $400 piece of equipment can become illegal just because a little rattle inside of it. Seems like a rule that needs to be revisited.

As for the joints in my body making odd noises, that is a normal occurrence for me but apparently not for you. I'm envious. What's your secret? lol.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom