19 Sluggers defective?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
31" drop 10. I bought a 2019 Xeno as a backup but we haven't hit with it much. Right now she is using a slightly cracked Ghost to practice with. Doesn't sound real healthy but still hits really well.

Gotcha thanks. We also practice with a broken Ghost.

Jun 8, 2016
DD has been using a 2019 Xeno 32 drop 10 (which we got for free) for the last month or so with no issues 🤷‍♂️

Apr 28, 2019
DD has been using a 2019 Xeno 32 drop 10 (which we got for free) for the last month or so with no issues 🤷‍♂️

That’s good I wouldn’t expect any. Just a lemon I guess. I was going to say don’t tell me you reached into your pocket with those alligator arms and watched the moths fly out of the old wallet.
Then I read “for free”. Better than her old Marucci?

Jun 8, 2016
That’s good I wouldn’t expect any. Just a lemon I guess. I was going to say don’t tell me you reached into your pocket with those alligator arms and watched the moths fly out of the old wallet.
Then I read “for free”. Better than her old Marucci?
Yeah Org head gave it to us for free..probably a bribe so we don't leave :LOL:

At 10, a bat is a bat to her. I mean I asked her if this felt different than the 1 piece Mizuno she was using and she said not really so that should tell you something ( I can feel the difference just hitting a few fungos with it..)

May 29, 2015
What is the thinking behind tossing bats for rattles?A safety thing?

Because every rule book says that bats must be free of "rattles, dents, burrs, cracks and sharp edges" (NFHS wording specifically).

It doesn't provide any exceptions or exclusions. It doesn't provide me with any reasoning.

My honest opinion -- that shouldn't be my job as an umpire. I should not be checking your equipment as a preventative measure. I should not be touching YOUR equipment.

I have NO formal training. I have no formal education in the engineering, design, or construction of bats. NOBODY -- let me say that again: NOBODY provides umpires with any training of any kind on this subject. Even when directly asked, neither the bat manufacturers not the codes who write the rulebooks will even discuss the subject. But I am required to perform duties well outside the scope of my knowledge, training, and ability. Big BIG fiasco.

May 29, 2015
Yeah MIB the rattle is due to resin/glue coming loose and moving around inside the barrel.
Not a safety issue just an annoying sound. Doesn’t effect performance at all.
The cracks in paint/composite are what get my attention. Don’t want a “blowout” during an at bat.
Honestly the bats rarely do more than crack along the barrel. The only bats I’ve seen snap in half were 2015/2016 Demarini’s.

Again, I have no professionally educated opinion ... I've been told that is everything from a "sand rattle" (dirt inside the bat) to the glue breaking apart to the fibers inside the bat flaking off. I don't know what it is. I don't know how bats are made. I just know "If it rattles, it is illegal (or damaged, by NFHS rules)."

That said, as a layperson ... resin and glue are used to hold things together. If the resin/glue has become dried or brittle to the point it is breaking loose inside ... that doesn't sound like "not a safety issue" to me.

As an umpire, I have no measure of performance and that is not why I toss bats. Performance is above my paygrade. (Literally -- that is performed pre-tournament with a compression checker, not by an umpire on the field.)

Apr 28, 2019
Yeah Org head gave it to us for free..probably a bribe so we don't leave :LOL:

At 10, a bat is a bat to her. I mean I asked her if this felt different than the 1 piece Mizuno she was using and she said not really so that should tell you something ( I can feel the difference just hitting a few fungos with it..)
Yeah free stuff does happen as an enticement to stay sometimes. What do you feel more flex and less feedback in Xeno vs 1 Pc Carbon?

Mar 28, 2014
Because every rule book says that bats must be free of "rattles, dents, burrs, cracks and sharp edges" (NFHS wording specifically).

It doesn't provide any exceptions or exclusions. It doesn't provide me with any reasoning.

My honest opinion -- that shouldn't be my job as an umpire. I should not be checking your equipment as a preventative measure. I should not be touching YOUR equipment.

I have NO formal training. I have no formal education in the engineering, design, or construction of bats. NOBODY -- let me say that again: NOBODY provides umpires with any training of any kind on this subject. Even when directly asked, neither the bat manufacturers not the codes who write the rulebooks will even discuss the subject. But I am required to perform duties well outside the scope of my knowledge, training, and ability. Big BIG fiasco.
Yes i'm aware that the book says that. My question was not directed to you and why you do it, it was directed at the reason for the rule to be on the books. I mean ....... a rattle in the handle that is clearly something very small and light such as a piece of resin shouldn't be a problem imo.

Dec 11, 2010
Another one just bit the dust. We are fresh out of '18 Ghosts. They had a good run. This one while a former mens fp player was pitching to her. Big nasty shark tooth cracks out of no where. Out of warranty, out of luck, lol

She is now swinging an Advanced full time until I can figure something out. I'm hoping there are some -8's floating around out there on sale cheap. we got the advanced from Core quite awhile ago but she hasn't put many swings on it. She pretty much hates the feel until she bashes the barrel to mush.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee