17 yr old Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Getting ready to start Haley’s senior year. When she was a freshman in 2019 I wasn’t sure I’d stick around until her senior year, now it’s here. She made a few adjustments to her swing and did well with travel ball.

the challenge I see is can she be a leader ? It’s one thing to lead with stats and accomplishments but to be looked upon to lead is different. I’ve had several posters tell me they followed her thread thank you very much.

I wonder how BU feels about her wearing her sister's school shirt 🤣😜

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Now that the new year is here, we’re getting ready for the high school season. We’ve started back hitting 3 times a week. One of the drills she has been doing for over a year is the Bonds drill. We tweaked and adapted it to help with the mechanics she’s using. I asked her to swing from the neck slot and with a split grip. Here’s two swing off the tee.

I know this is not exactly what Bonds intended his drill to accomplish.

May 16, 2019
Haley's hitting success has helped about half the team (6) start adopting some of the HLP principals. We have moved in to working on how to hit with this swing and better understand timing the pitch.

Haley's nursing a quad/hip flexor pull so not fully swinging at this point. Coaches talk about getting the barrel on plane early so your in the path of the ball for long as possible so that your timing doesn't have to be perfect, well that's what we are working on. It so evident how stuck in their habits a hitter can be. To her defense the machine is at 60 mph.

A couple of points; I'm asking her to be early as she can , she couldn't, so I told her to snap ridiculously early and then hit the ball. We use the chop drill to hit the ball deeper in the zone. I'm reminding her to mentally slow the ball down and then we go back to contact.

A side note my team lost a 14 inning game and the league tittle last year 2-0. The hard part was the opposing pitcher hung 30 strike outs on us. So we're all working to avoid that again. One of my coaches said we need to do a better job of adjusting at the plate. After a long summer of self reflection, I realize as coaches we have not given our player the necessary tools to make adequate adjustments. This drills and several others is my attempt to give my players some of the tools to be able to make an adjustment at the plate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478