16Yr Old Swing Analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2015
I know there is work to be done here, but what should we be focusing on going into the Fall Season? I appreciate in advance any insight anyone can provide.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Hey Greg...couple just housekeeping type things.
1) We really need to see her feet in the video...identifying toe touch is really important to see if her timing is correct, point a little lower also try and be directly across from her and higher
2) NEVER (yes I'm yelling in a heartfelt coach wanting your child do to their best way) have her hit four pitches in less than 30 seconds it's pointless maybe it's a machine but I'd get with the operator and fix it or just have her hit every other ball it will lead to very bad habits she needs to get ready for each pitch and she can't at that speed

Now for some swing analysis/areas for improvement.

When she loads she is really sliding and leaning back versus a true load/coil.
At toe touch (I think) her upper body position looks OK but it's still to far leaning back and her lower body seems not engaged
This leads to me to what seems like a handsy swing and there might be a slight case of bat drag but the angle makes

No time today to do a frame by frame but if you are interested I can try later this week.

Aug 20, 2017
She has somewhat of a push swing due to being out of sequence. Looks like the lower body and upper body are rotating at the same time and causing The knob of the bat to cut across her chest. Looks like she is trying to use arms/shoulders as main engine. You want to use the legs/core to power the swing. She needs to think stay behind the ball with upper body. It’s leaking too much energy forward

Check out the 3:50 mark but tons of good info in this link

Nov 18, 2015
Could be the lack of time between pitches, but on one or two of her swings, her stride seems to get shorter (negative stride?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2015
Thanks for the good start. We'll work on the load and sequencing first and post a better follow up video when we make some progress.

PS...guilty as charged with pumping pitches at her too fast. 30 minute cage rental....

May 21, 2014
grip isn't an absolute, but she's over-gripping the bat too. She's beyond boxer knuckles.... really want to be somewhere between knocker and boxer but not past boxer.

Nov 16, 2017
cornbread is dealing you some good hush puppies here. I would like to add the downward shoulder angle on the move forward. Her shoulders are level and then rising. I have found that fixing the shoulder plane to downward on the move out is crucial to setting up the rest of the swing. This JD drill would be a good thing to work on. Watch as his front shoulder get down as he moves toward the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28