16yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
Funny Eric mentioned the ear buds. Maddie, more than my other kids, timing, rhythm, and tempo means more to her comfort with her swing. Things have to feel just right with her. One practice, she hit 3 balls (not counting the 25 220+) 250 Ft about 16 feet up the fence. She's not happy, it didn't feel right coming off the bat. Arm Bar? Hands push out from the body? Yes ...
I'd like to see her keep her eyes level as much as possible. She's early to the ball contact point but rushed to fully stretch at launch. She could stretch better it's often incomplete and not give (the stretch) it up so easy... IMO..... BUT.... when she's in her grove she has the prettiest most destructive swing I've ever seen a teenage have. The bat speed she generates is unreal and off the chart. Thanks Eric for sharing Maddie with all of us

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Funny Eric mentioned the ear buds. Maddie, more than my other kids, timing, rhythm, and tempo means more to her comfort with her swing. Things have to feel just right with her. One practice, she hit 3 balls (not counting the 25 220+) 250 Ft about 16 feet up the fence. She's not happy, it didn't feel right coming off the bat. Arm Bar? Hands push out from the body? Yes ...
I'd like to see her keep her eyes level as much as possible. She's early to the ball contact point but rushed to fully stretch at launch. She could stretch better it's often incomplete and not give (the stretch) it up so easy... IMO..... BUT.... when she's in her grove she has the prettiest most destructive swing I've ever seen a teenage have. The bat speed she generates is unreal and off the chart. Thanks Eric for sharing Maddie with all of us

Maddie has this absolutely correct !! Without it one will lack dynamic balance throughout the sequence... My point had nothing to do with her tempo, rhythm, and timing.. Big movements are great as long as one is able to control and direct once leveraged.. Many with large movements end up losing the barrel while attempting to direct the barrel especially when pitch speed is throttled up.

LB467wR.gif

Also barrel path will take care of itself if she beats the pitcher to her position.

WilWtlj.gif

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Checking into the forum I had to go back to the 15 yo Maddie to catch up! Glad she is back playing and having fun.

She is doing great. Can definitely tell her timing is related to her stride and her releasing front side. When she is on it perfectly it is a beautiful swing! I loved the 09/01/20 grand slam swing!!

The fact she now knows/feels what she does AND that she has the ability to be off and still clobber the ball is awesome.
Congrats to her, you and coach.

I am going to make 2 recommendations!!

1. Consider putting all these links at the top of each your new "age" titles so people can have easy access. Hopefully some of these younger parents and starters will go back and learn "how" she got to where she is. Its such an great thread. Just a suggestion but here they are.
10 yr old Maddie
11 yr old Maddie
12 yr old Maddie
13 yr old Maddie
14 yr old Maddie
15 yr old Maddie
16 yr old Maddie

2. Step YOUR game up dad! $100 dollars for hitting a pole that is 200-210 away and only $20 dollars to hit a small shed that is 260 feet away??? Sounds a little el cheapo to me! Give the girl a break, let her earn a little green!! 😄

Keep up the good work! Fun to follow ya'll!!

Mar 6, 2016
Checking into the forum I had to go back to the 15 yo Maddie to catch up! Glad she is back playing and having fun.

She is doing great. Can definitely tell her timing is related to her stride and her releasing front side. When she is on it perfectly it is a beautiful swing! I loved the 09/01/20 grand slam swing!!

The fact she now knows/feels what she does AND that she has the ability to be off and still clobber the ball is awesome.
Congrats to her, you and coach.

I am going to make 2 recommendations!!

1. Consider putting all these links at the top of each your new "age" titles so people can have easy access. Hopefully some of these younger parents and starters will go back and learn "how" she got to where she is. Its such an great thread. Just a suggestion but here they are.
10 yr old Maddie
11 yr old Maddie
12 yr old Maddie
13 yr old Maddie
14 yr old Maddie
15 yr old Maddie
16 yr old Maddie

2. Step YOUR game up dad! $100 dollars for hitting a pole that is 200-210 away and only $20 dollars to hit a small shed that is 260 feet away??? Sounds a little el cheapo to me! Give the girl a break, let her earn a little green!! 😄

Keep up the good work! Fun to follow ya'll!!

Cool chronology and progression to see. 👍 The HUGE jump visually in power is really dramatic from 12u video to 14u video. The stance and swing stays really consistent from that point on from about 13. Only thing I notice is maybe the toe tap or the leg raise changes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maddie found a new level today...

She's hit plenty of balls over the fence on this field before (230' at the light pole, 250' at the green box on the right of the frame), but usually just into the bushes past the fence. The first hit went past the bushes, the sidewalk, the street, and hit a fence on the other side (est. 270'+). 2 others landed in the street (250'+). The others were in the 240-250' range. After the last one, we moved to an adjacent field where there wasn't a chance of hitting a moving car and causing bigger problems.

This is the best power I've seen from her, so far.

Her self-analysis...
I'm holding my coil longer as I move forward, and it's helping me get my foot down later with more control of my timing. I'm also keeping my hands inside the ball longer, instead of letting them go away from by shoulder, which is keeping me turn tighter and quicker.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
That’s awesome! It’s neat seeing her progress through the years. Time sure does fly by.

Is she looking to play in college? At any level?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She does a nice job on going "down to".

Be aware that the camera angle (on the ground) makes it looks like she's swinging a lot more downward than she actually is. Her barrel path is still down behind and up through contact. That said, she's not turning the barrel down as deep as she has in the past.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That’s awesome! It’s neat seeing her progress through the years. Time sure does fly by.

Is she looking to play in college? At any level?

Thanks you...yes, it does.

She's still a bit on the fence about college ball. I'm not sure what her hangup is. She's "I don't know" about a whole lot of things right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812