16u . No experience looking for advice and thoughts on her catching. Catcher .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2020
Exactly. I don't think she understand how to measure pop time. Even then, among skilled coaches, it can vary .1 to .2 seconds because you have to push that button a split second before the "smack" of the glove actually happens. A 1.6 for a non-trained catcher is off the charts.
I have a app that countdown before starting the timer and I screen shot it as soon as it hits the target . I measure mine 85 feet from home plate .

Apr 16, 2013
I have a app that countdown before starting the timer and I screen shot it as soon as it hits the target . I measure mine 85 feet from home plate .
I don't think anyone here is calling you a liar, just that we know a 1.6 is the very tippy end of the spear in terms of abilities. That's why we'd want to see video proof. It's not to hurt you, but to help you. Like EricF, my DD has been catching since she was 8yo. The best she's ever been recorded at is in the 1.8s. If you really are in the 1.6 range, then that's beyond fantastic, and all of us will really mean that!

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I don't think anyone here is calling you a liar, just that we know a 1.6 is the very tippy end of the spear in terms of abilities. That's why we'd want to see video proof. It's not to hurt you, but to help you. Like EricF, my DD has been catching since she was 8yo. The best she's ever been recorded at is in the 1.8s. If you really are in the 1.6 range, then that's beyond fantastic, and all of us will really mean that!

^^what he said.

From what you said about playing football I am sure you have a strong arm but a good amount of the speed in a pop time comes from receiving the pitch, transition, and footwork. All things that a new catcher will need to work on the most. Anyone can throw a ball hard.

Focus on the info everyone has provided and you will no doubt continue to improve. Just remember there isn't one method or style that works for everyone. See what the best at the position are doing and make it work for you.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

What I generally do for measuring pop times is use a video editing app (iMovie, is my usual tool). I split the video at the frame the ball hits the catcher's mitt, and split when the ball hits the SS's glove. The duration of the segment between spits gives me a pretty good measurement of pop time without the human element of reacting to a timer, or pressing the button on a stopwatch.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I hope you heal from your surgery quickly, Hannah. When you are able, please share video. There are a lot of people here experienced with developing catchers, and we can offer advice on how you can become even better. There are a lot of little details in movements that can add up to a big difference.

Apr 3, 2020
I hope you heal from your surgery quickly, Hannah. When you are able, please share video. There are a lot of people here experienced with developing catchers, and we can offer advice on how you can become even better. There are a lot of little details in movements that can add up to a big difference.
I will as soon as I can . Question though . How would I get a video of it ? I don't have anyone else to video .

Apr 17, 2019
I will as soon as I can . Question though . How would I get a video of it ? I don't have anyone else to video .

Can you set up a tripod at the backstop? If you have someone with a good arm, they can throw from 2nd to you as if it were the pitch, and you throw back to them for pop time. If not, it'll probably take 3 ppl. One to feed the ball, you, and one on 2nd to receive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478