16u . No experience looking for advice and thoughts on her catching. Catcher .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What are you considering pop time? Not to doubt your abilities but it is unlikely 16U player that is new to catching has a 1.6 second pop time.

Agreed. My DD (15yo) has been a catcher since she was 9, and has put in a ton of hard work over a lot of years improving her craft. Her best pops are about 1.8. I would consider her among the better catchers of her age.

"Pop time" starts when the ball hits the catcher's mitt and ends when it hits the shortstop's glove. Quickness of transfer, quickness of release, and throwing velocity all factor into the measurement.

This is what 1.8 looks like...

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
We aren't bashing. We are assisting her education by sharing knowledge about her new position.

I'm all in favor of girls who are excited about working the dish, and are motivated to put in the effort it takes to build their skills :D
Exactly. I don't think she understand how to measure pop time. Even then, among skilled coaches, it can vary .1 to .2 seconds because you have to push that button a split second before the "smack" of the glove actually happens. A 1.6 for a non-trained catcher is off the charts.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Get the NECC Catching video (if they have a camp that you can attend - go), pick and choose some of Jen Schro's drills, read through some of Jenny Toppings Gold Medal Training stuff, develop a relationship with Turbo (RADcatcher on here) and ask for her thoughts and advice. There are several members on DFP who have a really good grasp of this position (EricF, Chaz, to name just a couple). Keep reading (and deciphering) the posts in the Catching thread, study videos of the best, notice the commonalities and incorporate them into your own style....and then have fun while you work at becoming the best field general you can!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hi :)
There are many tools and mechanics to use.
I prefer a strong and balanced catching stance.
Suggest use a catching stance that provides you with strength and balance, with leg muscles engaged when receiving pitches.
Like my feet atleast as wide as shoulders even a little more. (Not under tushie.)
Using legs, not squishy.
Also like flat footed.
(Not on toes)
For more balance and strength to maneuver all directions.
This will give you a great balanced foundation to utilize muscles to move quickly when you need to and a confident strong balanced body to frame with.

*Your glove arm receiving pitches in video looks like you have a good technique! Keep working you will get more confident seeing pitches and controlling framing!

As mentioned in previous posts,
Look through the catching posts on the website.
Lots of skills building drills!
Encourage build leg strength to be explosive with!

Keep up the positive attitude and hard work! Thats the best tools to start with everyday!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478