16u catcher. Needing help with stance . Questions about catching stance .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Im just looking into it since the normal catchers stance causes slightly too much pressure for my right knee .
Regarding pressure on your right knee.
Considering your previous injury.
Is pressure caused just getting into your crouch?
( left knee down will not change right knee position, rather force more pressure onto right knee when needing to move, since the left knee/leg down is not helping mobility)

Do you feel pressure throwing?
Since your right handed
right knee is what we push off to throw.

Are you feeling pressure during throw?
Perhaps when pivoting or twisting right knee?

Healthy body first!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
As others have said, find what works for your body. Try different foot spacing, angles, etc. There is also the factor of your body adapting to being in a squat. You're new to it. It's going to take some time to work into it. My DD (also 16yo) has been catching for 7+ years. Her muscles and connective tissues are used to being stretched into that position for long periods of time.

Apr 3, 2020
( left knee down will not change right knee, other than force more pressure onto right knee when needing to move, since the left knee/leg down is not helping mobility)

Since your right handed

Healthy body first!
The pressure starts when I get in a receiving position . It doesn't hurt when I get up and throw . It gets pressure from waiting on the pitch . My left knee doesn't have the problem at all. As soon as I move it stops hurting. My right knee is also hard to get even with the left . When its even it seems to get more pressure. With my right knee down there isnt pain and the same thing when the left knee is down .

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The pressure starts when I get in a receiving position . It doesn't hurt when I get up and throw . It gets pressure from waiting on the pitch . My left knee doesn't have the problem at all. As soon as I move it stops hurting. My right knee is also hard to get even with the left . When its even it seems to get more pressure. With my right knee down there isnt pain and the same thing when the left knee is down .
Looks like your figuring it out.
Hopefully the pressure in your knee is just a symptom of being tight. Stretching may help.

Good Luck!

Hannah, I recommend you check out Kirsten Cox (@DTDSoftball) on twitter (and I hate twitter).

i second this! Absolutely IMO the best source. She also has a Facebook page if that’s your thing, dominate the dish. Check it out especially if you’re interested in catching with one knee down and yes you can block using that technique. My daughter finally had a light bulb go off when she figured out she can still block when using one knee down.

Apr 17, 2019
Hi Hannah! I can't help much with catching, but glad to see you working on it.
Only useful thing to add is - maybe there was no one on base when those snaps were taken with one knee down? IMO, if there's no one on base, you should be able to pull up a bucket and take a load off.
Other maybe useful thing is don't spend all day in that position, you can wait to set up until the pitch is imminent.
Also, yes, stretch. ;) Speaking as a coach who spends a lot of time catching for pitchers, stretching is a must.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
This is all great if you weigh 125 lbs. My knees would hate me for life using those stances

Do you Hannah. Find what fit and is comfortable. If your not its going to be a long long day

The first photo is of former team USA catcher Ashley Holcombe. She uses the inside edges of the balls of her feet. She That is where she achieves balance in this form. She was 5'6" and weighed 160 lbs. You hop into that position during the pitching motion. It becomes easy and is not long term. Also, it is only necessary while runners are on base requiring a possible throw on a steal or pickoff. How do you drop off of a flat foot, or the balls of your feet? You can only accomplish it by rising up, then going down. You think you have time to do that against Garcia, Abbott, or Ueno? Put some cleats on and try it!

If you are going to teach falling forward to block, which limits other effective options, then setting up on the flat balls of the feet would be viable. It just simply isn't the best system. I am certain at lower levels almost anything squatting behind home-plate would be acceptable, but at higher levels, or desirable levels for future high achievement, every advantage much be utilized.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Considering your previous injury.
( left knee down will not change right knee position, rather force more pressure onto right knee when needing to move, since the left knee/leg down is not helping mobility)

Since your right handed

Healthy body first!

I didn't want to say it, but I think you are hinting about it. At her age, if this is a chronic problem, then that does not bode well.

Mar 7, 2020
One aspect of setting up as a RH catcher we have found useful was to have the catchers left foot closer to the pitcher by about 3-4 inches. It seems too free up the glove arm when a ball is pitched inside to a lefty.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
One aspect of setting up as a RH catcher we have found useful was to have the catchers left foot closer to the pitcher by about 3-4 inches. It seems too free up the glove arm when a ball is pitched inside to a lefty.

It is also effective for throwing. I teach two throwing technics. One is with the left foot forward in a steal situation. It gets the momentum started toward 2B, followed by a second short step on the left foot toward 2B.
The other is knees even, stepping ONLY to the center-line of the catcher's body with the right foot, which would bring the foot under the right shoulder. Then push and step directly at 2B. If that first step goes to far behind, as in behind the left foot, the step on the right foot will be followed by a step on the left foot more toward the SS. Balance can only be achieved by over compensating by stepping wide with the left-foot more toward the SS. This causes the right-elbow to drop, too often creating fade toward RF. You will note that most wide throws to 2B are wide toward RF and into the runner. The reason is because that first step on the right-foot is too big, going behind the left foot, not TO the center-line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom