16 yo pushback critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I'm missing something. Living at 60 and can't get more. 6' w/6'6" drive. All constructive comments welcome. Heck, destructive comments are welcome if they'll get some more power out of her. :eek:

Probably ought to start with I think she is doing them correct, but is she?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think she generally looks great.

For me, I think she should fall more forward with this push-back drill. I'd say get a bit more h with more tilt forward than even this italicized h shows

Mar 24, 2014
It took my DD a little bit to get comfortable with e feeling of falling forward on the drill but has helped immensely.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Thanks, I'll have her mimic falling forward more. I'm doing a lousy job of getting "more ballistic" out of her which means I am not understanding how to translate the process to her.

Doug, the h are the 2 feet and spine? Took me a minute. And I'll have her try your glove recommendation and let you know.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
She looks to be rushing the motion... almost looks like she's gearing up for Easter and bunny hopping. ;)

If you were to put a metronome against the tapping of her feet... she would be around 180 beats per minute. Get her under 60 beats per minute. Go into a firm rear leg by leaning forward and then strike the plate forcefully with the drive foot. Go back to the original 2-step video... and there's a little piece in there about establishing a slow rhythm... think I'm snapping my fingers.or something...

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Knight just sent me a video of his daughter and I can see the rhythm and timing very well. Huge thanks Knight! Java, it shows what your comment about starting slow and explode means. :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks, I'll have her mimic falling forward more. I'm doing a lousy job of getting "more ballistic" out of her which means I am not understanding how to translate the process to her.

Doug, the h are the 2 feet and spine? Took me a minute. And I'll have her try your glove recommendation and let you know.

I interpret the push back as a bridge between a walk through and a regular pitch. Like trying to get a running start but compressed with the rear leg being used to overcome inertia and get moving, then the front leg being like a turbo boost that accelerates an already moving body. In looking at her video, I see the rear leg too passive and not really driving hard.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
JJ, that is a great description. I thought the pushing back was just so that the ankle didn't break and it put the leg muscles on stretch for the drive instead of actively starting the drive. Simple phrasing changed my thought process. I'm sure as meticulous as Java writes, it is probably in his work and I never made the connection.

So is the 2 step a running start move also? Everytime I go look up something in the drive mech thread, I get distracted by additional knowledge and go wandering down that avenue instead of staying focused on my original question.

One more question - When I do the PBacks matching Knights DD motion and timing, there feels like it takes a huge amount of effort to get my body moving forward. Is that everything compressing inward prior to exploding. Once I go, I go. Is that the moment of inertia I read about but don't understand or am I doing it wrong?

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I think that description of it taking a huge amount of effort is correct. Because there is a reversal of force there so it feels slow in the rear leg as it goes from back to forward, but that load is crucial to recruit the stride leg into the process of getting going. In my simplistic view, the 2 step and pushback are simply chaining drills to try to pack the power of a walkthrough into a legal pitch, or in my household a "go ahead and let you rear foot leave the rubber a little early, the baserunners do it, you can too, if they call it then adjust- pitch"...

NOTE-Above statement of intentionally breaking the rules is not advocated by Java in any post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22