16 yo pushback critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I think that description of it taking a huge amount of effort is correct. Because there is a reversal of force there so it feels slow in the rear leg as it goes from back to forward, but that load is crucial to recruit the stride leg into the process of getting going. In my simplistic view, the 2 step and pushback are simply chaining drills to try to pack the power of a walkthrough into a legal pitch...

Exactly.

Just had this conversation with a stud pitcher yesterday.

This is from the Drive Mechanics thread... the notes for the 2-step drill...:

I used to lean exclusively on Walkthroughs to assist those with weak/or limited drive off the plate – but it became evident that many pitchers could not duplicate this type of linear aggression off the plate in games. Why? Well, let’s face it…you can’t run up from behind the plate in a game… so we need to teach pitchers how to create what I call “stationary momentum”, teaching them immediate weight transfer, and establishing momentum through a rearward (or negative) move.

• The rearward slide and center of the drive foot is absolutely critical. It shows you that she transferred ALL her weight backwards onto the stride foot and MOVED backwards. As they progress with this drill, most pitchers need to be reminded not to rush or skip this super important rearward move. This rearward move creates more distance to travel through prior to the drive foot ‘pushing’… which is what creates momentum (like a walkthrough). As these mechanics become her regular pitch, be sure this move happens.
  • Building your own tempo does not mean to simply do it faster. Each move must happen; don’t increase the tempo so much that the moves are eliminated, instead, focus on increasing the effort.

;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812