16 walks and still win the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Did anyone see the Northwestern V Iowa Double-Header yesterday on TV?
THe pitcher for Northwestern, Lauren Delaney allowed 16 walks in the 9 inning game and they still came out on top with a score of 6-5.
She also allowed 6 more walks in the second game but they clobbered Iowa 16-5.
You could see the frustration in the catcher for NW during much of the game as Delaney worked from behind in the count on almost every batter she faced. I was getting frustrated with her and I was just watching on TV!!
I can't remember what the final ball strike ratio was but it was something like 120-some balls to 80-ish strikes.
I can't say that I've ever seen a televised College game that had 16 walks allowed by one pitcher.

It's a good thing those Northwestern girls can hit!

May 13, 2008
I DVR'd a Nortwestern vs. Minnesota game last week and saw her pitch. She's a wild one for sure.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
She wasn't earlier in the season. But they've been using her a lot in the last few weeks. I wonder if she has some injury or fatigue issues that are cropping up? They might want to find another pitcher to share some innings, just in case.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Shame on Iowa for not taking advantage of several bases loaded situations, many with only 1 out!

I've followed this NW pitcher for a few seasons and she's always seemed a bit wild to me. (this was the worst game I've seen her pitch) Perhaps that's what makes her effective is the batters just never know where the ball is going.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If this were baseball, they would have the Northwestern coach's head for abusing an athlete. But, this is softball--so it is perfectly alright to kill a kid for the greater glory of Northwestern Wildcat softball.

She has pitched 204 of a total of 223 innings for NW. She will pitch both ends of a double header.

Ray

May 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I think Lauren Delaney is great!!!

I think Lauren Delaney is great. There is much more to those stats than just walks. You really have to see how many of those walks came on full counts. She is trying to put the ball where they can't hit it. After a while there is no more place to put it where they haven't already looked.
If I remember isn't the second game where the pitcher from Iowa was taken out in the 1st inning after she loaded the bases. How are the new pitchers supose to get experience unless they keep them in there.
It seems to me some colleges have one dominant pitcher and their second pitcher doesn't get to play.

Not to change the subject on walking 16 and still winning the game but my daughter pitched in a high school game a month ago and had 22 x-outs and threw a perfect game but still lost.
12 innings. went to tiebreaker, they scored, we didn't.

Skeeterbug

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Let's not forget the other end of that.

In my younger days I pitched a game and had 17 called strike outs,,,,, and we lost 1 to 0.

If your team cant score you 'A' run,,,, you can't win 'A' game.

:p

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In this day and age, it just doesn't make sense to throw a pitcher that much. Not even for the wear and tear on the pitcher, but for the sake of being prepared. If you only have one pitcher with experience you're just an ankle turn or a line drive away from being in trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802