15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Right, that was as close as I could get with just pulling it from youtube and not dumping all the frames ;)

She really isn’t off by much .......
620c573c89135d9fde6838b0a27817aa.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
She really isn’t off by much .......
620c573c89135d9fde6838b0a27817aa.png

Thanks. Yeah I would guess in games (with maybe the exception of the last few games last weekend) it is worse. She is able to square up and pull balls that should be pulled in BP but has not been able to in games..Anyway not my thread (sorry @Eric F )

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The barrel is a perfect extension of the lead forearm. The forearm and barrel are aligned.

Compared to the infamous position showed many times of the lead forearm at extension and the barrel is 90 degrees to the forearm.

I’ll post some pics

which is better? and why? Or why isn't one better than the other? I prefer Maddie's.

1593607033797.png

1593607006338.png

Apr 16, 2013
Eric, gotta ask if you encounter what I do. I've been working with one of my DD's best friend's little sister. She's 14 and has hit 5 HRs in her first 3 tournaments and leads her team's RBI count by double the nearest girl. Her mom has been getting statements like, "How is she hitting like that with a baseball swing?" Her mom is actually getting perturbed by the comments because they're becoming frequent. At this point I assume Maddie is a known entity, but have you gotten those types of comments a lot? I've always said the simple answer is, "There is no baseball of softball swing, there's only a good swing and a bad swing." Of course some people see through the writing on the wall and get offended.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, gotta ask if you encounter what I do. I've been working with one of my DD's best friend's little sister. She's 14 and has hit 5 HRs in her first 3 tournaments and leads her team's RBI count by double the nearest girl. Her mom has been getting statements like, "How is she hitting like that with a baseball swing?" Her mom is actually getting perturbed by the comments because they're becoming frequent. At this point I assume Maddie is a known entity, but have you gotten those types of comments a lot? I've always said the simple answer is, "There is no baseball of softball swing, there's only a good swing and a bad swing." Of course some people see through the writing on the wall and get offended.

I have encountered this, including with some of Maddie's former coaches. My response is to just keep my mouth shut and make a mental note that I won't be following any of their swing mechanics advice. For the mom of the girl you are working with, do your best to educate her that anyone who talks about a baseball swing and a softball swing being different are showing their ignorance. Unfortunately, this is an attitude that continues to swirl around in the softball world. Results on the field are what matter. If this girl is crushing, "fixing" her to look a certain way is a mistake.

Another comment I got about Maddie's swing was that her early bat speed was a flaw, and was presented with video comparing Maddie to another hitter currently playing D2 showing how much later the acceleration was happening. I said, "Yes, I see the difference."

Apr 16, 2013
I have encountered this, including with some of Maddie's former coaches. My response is to just keep my mouth shut and make a mental note that I won't be following any of their swing mechanics advice. For the mom of the girl you are working with, do your best to educate her that anyone who talks about a baseball swing and a softball swing being different are showing their ignorance. Unfortunately, this is an attitude that continues to swirl around in the softball world. Results on the field are what matter. If this girl is crushing, "fixing" her to look a certain way is a mistake.

Another comment I got about Maddie's swing was that her early bat speed was a flaw, and was presented with video comparing Maddie to another hitter currently playing D2 showing how much later the acceleration was happening. I said, "Yes, I see the difference."
Keep posting Eric. I love watching her grow and her swing. She's killing it!!!!

Feb 16, 2015
South East

A good rule of thumb is to never take criticism from someone that you aren’t willing to take advice from.....

Oct 2, 2017
A good rule of thumb is to never take criticism from someone that you aren’t willing to take advice from.....

LOL True, Have any of you had a coach try to change your DD because they are struggling at the moment, but you either as the instructor or their instructor are trusting in the learning process they are on so its going to take time and it will come together?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802