15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I greatly appreciate the kind words, everyone. :)

As I mentioned, Maddie's decision was influenced by more than just the enormous demands of softball. I encourage everyone to stay very aware of the entire scope of what stresses our DDs are carrying - softball, school, family, friends, etc.

Oct 21, 2016
Maddie Update...
Due to a number of factors - some softball, some not - Maddie decided she needed a break from the game, and resigned from the 16U TB team she was playing with this fall. Her enjoyment of playing the game is gone. In her final event with her team, she was in the dugout hoping that she wouldn't be called upon to play. We had some lengthy discussions about the situation, about commitment, about her future in the sport, and about the issues that were stressing her. It was clear that leaving the game now was the right choice for her. She is still excited for the upcoming HS season, and has continued to work with her hitting instructor on a regular basis, so she hasn't completely lost her love of the game.

Maddie has been playing TB since she was 10yo. Up until now, she's been been a dedicated player with a strong work ethic, and a determination to be a powerful force on the field - on both sides of the ball. However, I have realized that in the last 5 years of TB, she has never had more than 3 weeks in a row off of team events. I probably should have been more cognizant of her need for a break, but I've always gone by what she has said she wanted. Just as I am doing now. It is her journey.

She has indicated a few times that she will probably return to TB after HS. I hope that's the case. I also hope this break will help her rediscover her passion for the game.

Also, here's some swings from yesterday's hitting session...

Good luck to Maddie and yourself. I'm very much in the same situation with my 15 y/o DD. Her love and passion for the game is not the same it once was, OR there are no so many more options in here life softball is just one of the things in her life that she has love and passion for. I wold like to think it's a 2nd but I'm not so sure. We just went to Hungtington beach for a PGF event and she held her own as a 15 y/o playing 18U, but she didn't have the same love of being there to play as I've seen in past seasons, and she's practicing less and less on her own. But I don't push her as I'm afraid/certain it would have an adverse effect overall. Plus she is not looking forward to HS ball as last season was not a positive experience. If HS goes anything this year like last I think she will be done early, and if I had to guess this is her last season of travel ball, or atleast playing on a high level 18U team. I could see her wanting to play a few tournaments on a local team with no travel, but the year round commitment to the game is coming to an end very soon I think. Part of me is sad for this, but there's no career in this game for her, so if it's not fun anymore then what the point of all the time/money being spent.

Jul 14, 2018
It's tough not to be jealous of the girls who can play year-round, when so many college teams are lousy with players from California/Florida/Texas. It's good to be reminded that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the thermometer.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good luck to Maddie and yourself. I'm very much in the same situation with my 15 y/o DD. Her love and passion for the game is not the same it once was, OR there are no so many more options in here life softball is just one of the things in her life that she has love and passion for. I wold like to think it's a 2nd but I'm not so sure. We just went to Hungtington beach for a PGF event and she held her own as a 15 y/o playing 18U, but she didn't have the same love of being there to play as I've seen in past seasons, and she's practicing less and less on her own. But I don't push her as I'm afraid/certain it would have an adverse effect overall. Plus she is not looking forward to HS ball as last season was not a positive experience. If HS goes anything this year like last I think she will be done early, and if I had to guess this is her last season of travel ball, or atleast playing on a high level 18U team. I could see her wanting to play a few tournaments on a local team with no travel, but the year round commitment to the game is coming to an end very soon I think. Part of me is sad for this, but there's no career in this game for her, so if it's not fun anymore then what the point of all the time/money being spent.

I can see that things would probably be at an end for Maddie if she didn't enjoy HS ball. Despite the team being pretty bad, she had a really good time last year, and is excited that the team will be better this year (some new talent coming in, and some dead-weight seniors gone). The coach is still trying to figure things out (first time coaching HS last year), but he's a good guy with a huge heart, and good intent.

I'm a believer that the game always needs to be fun. I'm not saying that every moment of everything to do with the sport needs to be gleeful, but there has to be an enjoyment in the process, and in the competition. It's too hard for them not to enjoy it.

As for a 15yo playing 18U, I'm not surprised she held her own. I've seen quite a few examples of 16U being tougher than 18U.

I wish your DD a successful journey ahead, wherever the road takes her.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's tough not to be jealous of the girls who can play year-round, when so many college teams are lousy with players from California/Florida/Texas. It's good to be reminded that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the thermometer.

I've always said that greener grass sometimes just means more fertilizer...and we all know what's in fertilizer. ;)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Well I hope Maddie returns after HS. Maybe a ski trip, white water rafting,camping, Disneyland or some other fun stuff during her break would help. My DD is only 12 and when we get rained out it is a blessing in disguise. It's a good sign that she still hitting and going to play HS. Maybe a new team. I am sure there are coaches that would love to have her.

Maddie swing remind me of my DDs swing. My DD has a hard time waiting / timing front toss cause its too slow. Her game swing is so explosive/sudden. Would it be far to say that the faster the pitcher the better she hits?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well I hope Maddie returns after HS. Maybe a ski trip, white water rafting,camping, Disneyland or some other fun stuff during her break would help. My DD is only 12 and when we get rained out it is a blessing in disguise. It's a good sign that she still hitting and going to play HS. Maybe a new team. I am sure there are coaches that would love to have her.

Maddie swing remind me of my DDs swing. My DD has a hard time waiting / timing front toss cause its too slow. Her game swing is so explosive/sudden. Would it be far to say that the faster the pitcher the better she hits?

Maddie has a couple of teams that have the door wide open for her, and there are some others I'm staying in contact with as possible opportunities. It will all be up to what direction Maddie wants to go.

The quickness of Maddie's swing can cause her troubles when she doesn't have a good feel for timing. She ends up early out of impatience. However, this also means she doesn't struggle to get the barrel around against fast pitchers. Maintaining a slow and early pre-launch sequence helps her ability to be on time.

Jan 22, 2011
Eric,

Best of luck to Maddie in HS softball and sorting things out. My DD took the fall off from softball to play school volleyball for fun and is looking forward to her freshman year of HS softball. I've known for two years she was slightly burnt out on softball, so I've been just enjoying the ride. At this point my DD just wants to play fairly competitive ball with a good group of players.

The travel team she'll be on for next summer has 6 players she's played with in the past. One amusing thing is one of the catchers played in my DD's rec league through 1st year 10's and she went to the NECC roadtrip I hosted after I told her mother she had potential as catcher, then moved 60 miles away.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Eric,

I appreciate the vulernability and transparency in your (and Maddie's) journey. Your presence at this forum is invaluable to me, and I just wanted to thank you for being here.

Even just in 8U, I see and feel the pressure to keep moving and continue improving in this competive southern California softball landscape. While I know it's important to take a break, I'll be honest, there's part of me that believes if you do, others will keep playing and catch up or pass you up. So, thank you for posting. Your message is clear to me, and it's my job to help make softball fun for Ellie, and to work in breaks for her (soccer for next fall!).

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I've always said that greener grass sometimes just means more fertilizer...and we all know what's in fertilizer. ;)

Glad to live in MN because of this. Forces a break (for the outside sports at least) during the winter unless you want to pay tens of thousands of dollars to play for a club team and travel the country or play dome ball which thank god there aren't many options until 14U+.

I think it helps that we are from a small town also, all the same girls play most sports so her friends and teammates from softball are pretty much the same through basketball and volleyball also.

Maddie is probably just ready for a break from the year-round grind that is softball in warmer climates. Best of luck to her in whatever she decides.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom