15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
BE7A5035-99A5-4CB3-8ED1-9F7C5AA2B2A3.jpeg C965F6AB-0580-4BDE-8874-A6F8BA7D5A53.jpeg

So, here’s the important point...

There’s a lot of variation in top-level swings.

I’ve found the type of swing that works well for Maddie to produce power, quickness, and a bat path that most consistently creates the ball flight pattern we want. That swing includes pulling rearward over her rear hip, and creates a body position at contact with a rearward tilt, and the head behind the rear hip. This is movement and body position that I see confirmed by multiple elite hitters (as seen in the examples I have posted).

Are there counter-examples? Yep. There sure are. What that tells me is that there is more than one way to get the job done. Find what works for your player(s).

The purpose of this thread is to document Maddie‘s journey and share what we are learning along the way. One of the things we have learned is that she does well with a swing pattern that includes pulling back over the rear hip. I learned this with her multiple years ago. Her work with Mike has helped her reach a new level within that framework.

I am not proclaiming that this is the only way for everyone. This is the way for Maddie.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
From an actual game swing posted in this thread...
View attachment 15910

Yeah...I’m okay with her direction.

Eric F you and especially Maddie , keep on keeping on. I've said this before on this forum. There are some thing in swing mechanics that I have learned are pretty much cut and dry absolutes. That being said some on here at least to me in my opinion, are trying build cookie cutter swings. That if a player doesn't fit their box of what they deem correct, then its not right, good, or my favorite "not elite". Every player is different, every body type is different, every players strengths are different. So its going to require a different swing approach with every player. We can make suggestion all day long, but that's all they are. They may or may not work for that player.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Finally found a good side angle, almost directly across the plate.

I'm not trying argue with you, I just don't like what I see. I don't see the same thing happening in these pics.

Attachments

• posture3b.gif
    posture3b.gif
    65.8 KB · Views: 17
  • posture5e.gif
    posture5e.gif
    68.9 KB · Views: 21
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Finally found a good side angle, almost directly across the plate.

I'm not trying argue with you, I just don't like what I see. I don't see the same thing happening in these pics.

I see exactly what is was - an exaggeration. It started here...
2B246644-DE7D-456E-AE34-32D866247DF5.jpeg

You’ve made it clear that you don’t like what you see. Thanks for sharing your opinion, and I understand the point you’re trying to make. I’m good with what she was doing, because I didn’t lose sight of the context of the swings.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Tennis ball front toss with @Mike-Coach-Q...

We are seeing a changing trend in Maddie's barrel path, and resulting in her power zone shifting from predominantly LF to much more CF-RCF. Although it's hard to see from this camera angle, we are seeing some changes in how she's using her rear leg, too. She loves the way her swing feels, and the results it's producing in practice. First pre-season HS games are mid-January.

Temporarily interrupting the analysis just to pay a compliment. My DD pitched many summers and I coached many summers (mine's a D2 college sophomore now and plays 3rd) and the swing I see above would be a nightmare to pitch to. That bat path really negates the low and outside. I think I would pitch her inside and low. mix in changes and try a rise out of the strike zone because anything over the plate is big trouble. Tell her this coach says nice swing (but keep improving!)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Temporarily interrupting the analysis just to pay a compliment. My DD pitched many summers and I coached many summers (mine's a D2 college sophomore now and plays 3rd) and the swing I see above would be a nightmare to pitch to. That bat path really negates the low and outside. I think I would pitch her inside and low. mix in changes and try a rise out of the strike zone because anything over the plate is big trouble. Tell her this coach says nice swing (but keep improving!)

Thanks, lhowser. Low-in is a strength for her. High-in is her current soft spot. She will also chase riseballs out of the zone far too often...no matter how many times I tell her, her coaches tell her, or she tells herself to stay away from them - LOL. Top of the zone over the plate, and she will hurt you.

Always improving...

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Maddie Update...
Due to a number of factors - some softball, some not - Maddie decided she needed a break from the game, and resigned from the 16U TB team she was playing with this fall. Her enjoyment of playing the game is gone. In her final event with her team, she was in the dugout hoping that she wouldn't be called upon to play. We had some lengthy discussions about the situation, about commitment, about her future in the sport, and about the issues that were stressing her. It was clear that leaving the game now was the right choice for her. She is still excited for the upcoming HS season, and has continued to work with her hitting instructor on a regular basis, so she hasn't completely lost her love of the game.

Maddie has been playing TB since she was 10yo. Up until now, she's been been a dedicated player with a strong work ethic, and a determination to be a powerful force on the field - on both sides of the ball. However, I have realized that in the last 5 years of TB, she has never had more than 3 weeks in a row off of team events. I probably should have been more cognizant of her need for a break, but I've always gone by what she has said she wanted. Just as I am doing now. It is her journey.

She has indicated a few times that she will probably return to TB after HS. I hope that's the case. I also hope this break will help her rediscover her passion for the game.

Also, here's some swings from yesterday's hitting session...

Welp, just getting into this kind of late. Sucks to hear about the travel ball.

Glad I get to see you in those tight yoga shorts again!! CHAAAAOOWWWWW

Jun 8, 2016
Glad I get to see you in those tight yoga shorts again!! CHAAAAOOWWWWW
Ika9PXR.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee