15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Like this angle, not the best angle and is different then the pic you showed of Yelich,

The angle I’m talking about is comparing the rear leg to the torso, not the front leg, as you have shown.

B559C5DF-6093-4217-8A56-27070527E1DE.jpegE9E0CDA1-55A3-4AE4-8757-7619AFCA488E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
One of the remnants of her previous swing pattern that we are trying to adjust is how she used her shoulders. Before, she was very much about trying to turn hard to generate power. Some of that movement is still in her swing. Things are doing better, but it’s not all the way resolved yet.

Exactly what I am seeing and you see this with players as strong as she is. Strong girls (any strong players really) instincts are to muscle the ball. The musleing results in a front shoulder flying out and outrunning the rear shoulder. It is crazy how much we can get from a golf swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric,

If you have better angles please post them, I will look at the hitters you mentioned, but I doubt very much we will see the same action/posture. Not that you "can't" have a backward lean, it's the fact that she is doing a unhealthy action in her swing.

“Unhealthy” - LOL. Nope. The distance the ball flies off her bat, and her quickness to contact are anything but unhealthy. You are welcome to your opinion, but you don’t have the experience I do with my DD, and you seem to be ignoring what I’ve said about the things that work and don’t work for her. Pujols body position might work for your DD, or other hitters you work with, but it does not work for Maddie.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Exactly what I am seeing and you see this with players as strong as she is. Strong girls (any strong players really) instincts are to muscle the ball. The musleing results in a front shoulder flying out and outrunning the rear shoulder. It is crazy how much we can get from a golf swing.

As is pretty common, when we ask a player to focus on an exaggeration of one thing, other things tend to fall back to their default pattern. We are working on Maddie’s shoulders, but it’s still a work in progress. The focus of the tee swing was rear hip and leg feels.

Nov 16, 2017
Problem starts here. She should have a downward front shoulder angle. Head over center. Attack posture is way off. Just went through this with my DD too.
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 5.51.25 PM.png

1577314516970.png

Nov 16, 2017
As is pretty common, when we ask a player to focus on an exaggeration of one thing, other things tend to fall back to their default pattern. We are working on Maddie’s shoulders, but it’s still a work in progress. The focus of the tee swing was rear hip and leg feels.

I think if you fix the attack posture to having a downward front shoulder angle (toward 2nd base) you will be 95% right where you need to be.

MIne doing same thing. I will post an update when we get it fixed how I want it haha.

Crazy how similar they are here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 6.19.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 6.19.33 PM.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Live ball swing is looking good. Analyzing tee swings, especially those focusing on a certain feel, is fools gold imo. Only thing I would say about the tee swing is my usual spiel, e.g. have her track an imaginary ball 😉

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
“Unhealthy” - LOL. Nope. The distance the ball flies off her bat, and her quickness to contact are anything but unhealthy. You are welcome to your opinion, but you don’t have the experience I do with my DD, and you seem to be ignoring what I’ve said about the things that work and don’t work for her. Pujols body position might work for your DD, or other hitters you work with, but it does not work for Maddie.

I won't say anything more .

Pujols body position might work for your DD, or other hitters you work with, but it does not work for Maddie.

It don't work for many hitters because they don't have an elite swing. You can't tell me something wrong is actually correct. That's like saying the world is flat, when it clearer says in the bible it is a sphere and hangs on nothing. What she is doing isn't seen in elite hitters, regardless of how much you think it is correct. If she was hitting bombs routinely with that swing then you can tell me how correct her swing is, but just hitting the ball hard between 150 to 200 ft there are thousands or even millions who can hit the ball hard.

I remember a guy who liked to boast about his daughter growing up. She played on some elite 18 gold teams in Arizona. She went to Washington and couldn't hit, her swing looked like a train wreck, very muscled.

When I started at 26 old (I was 32 when she was a senior) we had girls in the same class of my niece, in fact her HS team had 8 starting seniors and 1 hurt. There was two girls who were thought of as power hitters and good hitters. Looking back I don't think they were actually very good hitters. The definitely didn't hit the ball over the fence on a regular basis.

Principles. You gotta have principles. I'm just saying what your daughter is doing isn't correct. If that is the best she do then so be it. We can't just write a program that makes kids swing like an elite hitter.

All that I was saying is I don't like what she is doing in the swing and yes it is unheathly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog