15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well we are going to hit in a bit. I can record the whole session if you want to see what "all over the place" looks like.. ;)

I do recall that a 10yo's "all over the place" is generally a wider range than Maddie's current "all over the place".

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
And, just like that, the wheels fell off the bus.

The last 2 weekends of games have resulted in a 1-for-9 slump, with 3 Ks. Maddie's timing is off, and her mechanics are starting to unravel a bit. We are seeing a return to her torso staying ahead of her rear hip (not getting extension of the hip joint), and her hands pushing. It seems like this devil comes around about once a year with her, and it takes a while to sort things out again. She had a session with Mike on Tuesday, and he pointed out that she was shorting her coil. Team BP last night had moments where things were better, but it wasn't at all her usual consistency. We will be at the park again tonight. More games tomorrow...

Hope this makes sense. What I see Eric is Maddie is swinging so hard and tense she has no body quickness and no bat speed. Amazing what this great game will do to the mind :eek:

May try going up to the plate with a plan of stroking into the gaps. :devilish:

May 12, 2016
Eric

I like the picture of posture differences. She is lunging a little with the top half.
Which can happen when timing is off.. the upper body will reach to get barrel on ball. Even on the line drive out she’s early and reaching ,,. Gets the ball on the end of the bat a little as well

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Hope this makes sense. What I see Eric is Maddie is swinging so hard and tense she has no body quickness and no bat speed. Amazing what this great game will do to the mind :eek:

May try going up to the plate with a plan of stroking into the gaps. :devilish:
There is a lot to be said for this. I remember when my kid got into one of those s-word things. (Kind of like in golf you don't say shanks.) She fell in love with the long ball. The way she got back out was thinking gap to gap. However, and I think I have been consistent, drive the ball to that gap. What happens then for many hitters is the concept of early but soft instead of "turn and burn." (Cue that need to be explained.)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
There is a lot to be said for this. I remember when my kid got into one of those s-word things. (Kind of like in golf you don't say shanks.) She fell in love with the long ball. The way she got back out was thinking gap to gap. However, and I think I have been consistent, drive the ball to that gap. What happens then for many hitters is the concept of early but soft instead of "turn and burn." (Cue that need to be explained.)
I'm in your camp . (y) For me you know you're stroking when the outfield just turns and looks as it leaves the park.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood