15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
There was a fence at 300'. That might be a better distance for you, anyway. ;)
Nice, with my "back up 10 ft after every pitcher walk, error or lousy swing" strategy I usually end up that far away after the bottom of the 1st anyway...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maddie and I had a great conversation on the way home after practice earlier this week....

We were talking about hitting (as we will do on occasion). She started talking about how her swing has become "unconscious", and she doesn’t think about “do this” or “don’t do that” any more. She just swings the way her body knows how to swing, just focused on the timing and location of the ball. She knows when things don’t feel right, but can usually identify what’s wrong and correct it the next time (I see this regularly in BP - "Nope. I dropped my hands."). She's "unconscious", but still very aware. She compared her approach now to her approach before she started working with her current instructor (@Mike-Coach-Q). Before, she felt like she had to think about too many things - what to do, and not do - and never felt comfortable. Mike really helped her put all the pieces together in the right order, and it got her to a new level. She also talked about how her pre-swing routine in the box (plate taps, etc.) helps her get to the right mindset. This became a discussion of the importance of being consistent with routines, which leads to a consistent approach, and consistent performance.

It was really awesome to listen to her. Her self-analysis was really fantastic, and it said a lot about how sophisticated her understanding and body awareness has become.

We've all heard coaches say, "Just see the ball, and hit the ball". Sometimes it comes across as an over-simplification, but there's an important point to it. In the box, in a game, the player needs to just play with the swing they have in that moment. We (parents and coaches) want them to execute their best swings in games, but it's a process and a lot of hard work to get to the point where their best swings show up when they have so many other things in their head.

May 12, 2016
Maddie and I had a great conversation on the way home after practice earlier this week....

We were talking about hitting (as we will do on occasion). She started talking about how her swing has become "unconscious", and she doesn’t think about “do this” or “don’t do that” any more. She just swings the way her body knows how to swing, just focused on the timing and location of the ball. She knows when things don’t feel right, but can usually identify what’s wrong and correct it the next time (I see this regularly in BP - "Nope. I dropped my hands."). She's "unconscious", but still very aware. She compared her approach now to her approach before she started working with her current instructor (@Mike-Coach-Q). Before, she felt like she had to think about too many things - what to do, and not do - and never felt comfortable. Mike really helped her put all the pieces together in the right order, and it got her to a new level. She also talked about how her pre-swing routine in the box (plate taps, etc.) helps her get to the right mindset. This became a discussion of the importance of being consistent with routines, which leads to a consistent approach, and consistent performance.

It was really awesome to listen to her. Her self-analysis was really fantastic, and it said a lot about how sophisticated her understanding and body awareness has become.

We've all heard coaches say, "Just see the ball, and hit the ball". Sometimes it comes across as an over-simplification, but there's an important point to it. In the box, in a game, the player needs to just play with the swing they have in that moment. We (parents and coaches) want them to execute their best swings in games, but it's a process and a lot of hard work to get to the point where their best swings show up when they have so many other things in their head.
You don't get much better advice then this... priceless!

May 16, 2019
You don't get much better advice then this... priceless! Julray

When Eric and Maddie 1st came to work with me they had already recognized the father-daughter relationship was getting in the way of their hitting goals. It wasn't a lack of knowledge or ability on either one of their part. I had been through the same thing with my teenage daughter during her softball career. Eric was awesome at stepping back and giving me a time with Maddie. I made one statement and ask Maddie one question. If you choose to have me work with you as a hitting coach, and we are successful, what does that look like to you?

The statement

You own your swing and I can't change it or fix it. Only you can but you have to be the owner of it. We can do this together as a team and I'll help all I can but the moment I tell you to do something and you don't agree, I've taken over your swing and it will fail.

It's been exciting and fun to see her grow in to the athletes she is and continues to evolve and advance to the level of her desire. Thanks Eric and Maddie for letting me tag along.

Oct 2, 2017

Awesome post Eric. It's great to see Maddy to that point in her swing

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
When my niece was watching a game with me behind the plate after we were done playing for the weekend. We were watching teams still in the tournament. She looked at me and said “they don’t throw fastballs”. She was already her own best coach and after that she took it to another level.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

The base of the light pole in left field is at 220’. When Maddie was 8, I offered her a cash reward for the ridiculous goal of hitting the light pole on the fly. Even as she has developed into a hitter with 250’ power, I haven’t changed the reward offer. She hasn’t hit the pole yet, but she’s been pretty close a few times.

She finally hit the light pole!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
And destroyed a $400 bat.. LOL How much did the pole cost you?

The bat is fine. Hitting softballs as hard as she does is a lot more abusive.

The reward was $100 - but only the first time. ;) I gave her a new goal....There's a storage box in dead CF. $20 for the roof of the box. It's going to take a 260' shot to get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28