15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
TTB around a rear forearm axle does not prematurely release lag.

I disagree with the idea of intentionally holding lag in order to release it late. Accelerate the barrel as quickly as possible from “go”, and keep accelerating it through contact - like a dragster accelerating to the finish line. Handle torque, rotational forces, and gravity all play a part.

Feb 25, 2020
I thought I was commenting in the Frye vs TM thread.. maybe another thread is needed.

Maybe a lag thread would be good. Coming from golf, I think seeking lag is the best way to ruin a swing.

Also, Eric and Maddie seem to be doing "A OK"(understatement). She is outstanding. I think the criticisms are humorous. "Baseball swing" lets just call it a swing. And "early batspeed" IT'S JUST BATSPEED!(this might be mixing threads)

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Yeah a new thread is best and that’s the reason why... I most definitely was not criticizing Maddie. My apologies Eric if it came off that way.. I would never do that

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
TTB around a rear forearm axle does not prematurely release lag.

I disagree with the idea of intentionally holding lag in order to release it late. Accelerate the barrel as quickly as possible from “go”, and keep accelerating it through contact - like a dragster accelerating to the finish line. Handle torque, rotational forces, and gravity all play a part.
My apologies Eric if I came across that I don't agree with what you are doing. Like the others, I am a huge Maddie fan (y)

May 16, 2019
Me too !!! I'm a huge Maddie fan. She does so many things on the unscious level that contribute to being a great hitter.
1. She has exceptional awareness of where and how her body moves in the swing. She often self assess and corrects when hitting.
2. Power , she's taken an around the body barrel path and converted it to an out from the body path.
3. Her leg lift and continuous coil gives her a big timing window to hit in. Plus her weight and hands back , if she early (change up) , she has that ability to hold the swing.
4. Gets on plane with the pitch. Lots of hitters with the TTB mentally struggle with matching the plane of the ball. Maddie has such great hand eye coordination and focus, its almost like she knows where the ball is being thrown buts it because she can hold in her loaded launch position a fraction longer before committing to the swing. In addition she's comfortable TTB horizonally and vertically.
5. Plate coverage is not problem for her. Power to all fields and all zones makes her a very tough out. I've often thought if my team was facing Maddie, how would we pitch to her. Tough out.
I could go on but...

I put this so that when your working with your athlete you might see some intangibles that Maddie has and cultivate them in your child. Maddies much more than a pretty swing...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Me too !!! I'm a huge Maddie fan. She does so many things on the unscious level that contribute to being a great hitter.
1. She has exceptional awareness of where and how her body moves in the swing. She often self assess and corrects when hitting.
2. Power , she's taken an around the body barrel path and converted it to an out from the body path.
3. Her leg lift and continuous coil gives her a big timing window to hit in. Plus her weight and hands back , if she early (change up) , she has that ability to hold the swing.
4. Gets on plane with the pitch. Lots of hitters with the TTB mentally struggle with matching the plane of the ball. Maddie has such great hand eye coordination and focus, its almost like she knows where the ball is being thrown buts it because she can hold in her loaded launch position a fraction longer before committing to the swing. In addition she's comfortable TTB horizonally and vertically.
5. Plate coverage is not problem for her. Power to all fields and all zones makes her a very tough out. I've often thought if my team was facing Maddie, how would we pitch to her. Tough out.
I could go on but...

I put this so that when your working with your athlete you might see some intangibles that Maddie has and cultivate them in your child. Maddies much more than a pretty swing...

Thank you, Mike! Maddie really loves working with you, and it's been a real joy to watch her development under your guidance. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802