15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
which is better? and why? Or why isn't one better than the other? I prefer Maddie's.

View attachment 18447

View attachment 18446

I see your confusing the upper arm for the lower (forearm) arm. Both hitters have the lower arm aligned with the barrel at contact. They are both good examples.

In the pic Pattar posted of his daughter, she would have to push or is pushing because the lead arm had finished it’s travel and the barrel hasn’t reached the contact point.

In the hitter you posted he is just making room with the upper arm, still a little flexed, although the lower arm, forearm, is aligned with the barrel at contact indicating a good transfer of energy. Perhaps someone can give you a more detailed physics answer. I’m not that smart. 🙈

My understanding of the position or alignment means there is good connection, as opposed to the barrel still needing to travel forward or push, Pattar’s pic of his daughter, Marcela.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
As we have learned from our resident physics prof, in a multi-hinge pendulum, the velocity of the rod (bat) is greatest when it gets to alignment with the arm (lead forearm). We also see this alignment happen (or very close to it) at contact with most top hitters. It has become a check-point I look for. Hitters who are not getting to alignment are often late with their barrel acceleration.

Also read Eric’s post.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I see your confusing the upper arm for the lower (forearm) arm. Both hitters have the lower arm aligned with the barrel at contact. They are both good examples.

In the pic Pattar posted of his daughter, she would have to push or is pushing because the lead arm had finished it’s travel and the barrel hasn’t reached the contact point.

In the hitter you posted he is just making room with the upper arm, still a little flexed, although the lower arm, forearm, is aligned with the barrel at contact indicating a good transfer of energy. Perhaps someone can give you a more detailed physics answer. I’m not that smart. 🙈

My understanding of the position or alignment means there is good connection, as opposed to the barrel still needing to travel forward or push, Pattar’s pic of his daughter, Marcela.
Non-physics answer may be called releasing bat lag with the wrists.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Non-physics answer may be called releasing bat lag with the wrists.

He is showing what not to do. Watch his alignment as he demonstrates the contact position and the extension afterwards. He doesn’t achieve alignment until the barrel is extending out front.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
He is showing what not to do. Watch his alignment as he demonstrates the contact position and the extension afterwards. He doesn’t achieve alignment until the barrel is extending out front.
He starts off talking about lag being the angle between the bat and the rear forearm, and that that angle should be increased, then released. Looking at good hitters, that angle is never released (Trout example on page 17). The angle that gets released is in the bottom wrist. His move is a knob push and an out-front snap. No, thank you.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Not endorsing that guy's hitting style gents, but bat lag is one of those elements in a swing that can make it or break it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I don’t like pushing the knob, but also don’t like releasing the angle immediately.. aka no lag, aka casting. I agree with bigsky, lag is important in a swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802