14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 11, 2015
Improving this issue is one the things she is currently working on.

Eric - How is Maddie working on this. My DD has a similar issue where the bat head is turned down if you will and were getting pop ups, foul backs, just misses, etc. For mine its also about timing. Id like for her to hit the ball out front a little more often which I think will obviously help too. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The swing in Post#94 got a good result. Here's something she could work on to keep improving.

This is just after heel drop.

This is the point when she dropped her back elbow to almost vertical.

Notice the bat head barely moved. The elbow and the bat head should have moved in unison prior to this. Work with her in dry drills to get a feel for moving the bat head with the elbow.

Also notice that her back elbow did not come down to the hip when she dropped it. It's way away from her hip/belt. I think she probably takes her hands too far away from her armpit/shoulder before this which is causing this.

All of this leads to this.

This is her slightly bat dragging. She must get her arms fully extended way out front to get her max power with this. I would just tell her to always keep her hands ahead of her elbow.

Here is Manny in comparison.

Notice:
1) the bat head moving in unison with the back elbow drop.
2) the back elbow drops to the hip/belt
3) the rear forearm at hip slot, is not leaning backwards, but is leaning forward (hands well ahead of the back elbow)

Was just telling someone that as good as you are at each level, you must keep getting better so you can continue to advance.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It has been a lot of fun watching Maddie's progression over the years. What ever happened to that DBSF? At one point in time it seemed like you were convinced she would have that forever. Now look at her!

Jun 8, 2016
What ever happened to that DBSF? At one point in time it seemed like you were convinced she would have that forever.
It was passed over the internet to my DD and in the process became much more virulent and potentially life threatening (for me, not her..she is healthy as can be..)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It was passed over the internet to my DD and in the process became much more virulent and potentially life threatening (for me, not her..she is healthy as can be..)

And in a few years, we will be asking where Marcela's DBSF went as well. I have no doubt she will figure it out. But hopefully she does before dad has a meltdown ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28