14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
First games back with her 14U TB team, Maddie banged a couple out to about 210'+. Unfortunately, the field had a 240+' fence, and she's not a particularly speedy runner. Both hits resulted in stand-up triples.

Most importantly, Maddie says she's feeling really good about her swing right now, which is a complete flip from what she was feeling just a few months ago.

The "waggle" that she is doing on the first swing is a new thing for her. She told me it's helping her feel her elbows moving together.

Jun 8, 2016
First games back with her 14U TB team, Maddie banged a couple out to about 210'+. Unfortunately, the field had a 240+' fence, and she's not a particularly speedy runner. Both hits resulted in stand-up triples.

Most importantly, Maddie says she's feeling really good about her swing right now, which is a complete flip from what she was feeling just a few months ago.

The "waggle" that she is doing on the first swing is a new thing for her. She told me it's helping her feel her elbows moving together.

I like the waggle..I always had some sort of waggle in my setup if I remember correctly. For me it was more of a queue to stay loose/relaxed.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like the waggle..I always had some sort of waggle in my setup if I remember correctly. For me it was more of a queue to stay loose/relaxed.

She has waggled a few different ways over the years. This is a new move for her, and I really like her intent behind it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

Nice Eric... love the updates on Maddie, Congrats!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I thought this was a cool pic from a cage session last week showing the barrel path on plane with the pitch.
sQxYwuh.png

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Great swing. Nice coil as she goes forward, nice flat forearm at toe touch.

I hate to say anything, the swing is so good. The only thing I really noticed is just after hip slot, she pushes her front bicep slightly away from the torso. It's not much - maybe an inch or two.

At this point, when you push the hands forward, it prevents the bat head from coming forward/around. For that fraction of a second, the bat just stays in the same lag position while the hands come forward.

With the bat head around slightly sooner, she would be able to hit balls hard when they get deeper, and when they are outside. Maybe a few less popups, since the bat head would be higher at contact. Maybe more center field slams.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great swing. Nice coil as she goes forward, nice flat forearm at toe touch.

I hate to say anything, the swing is so good. The only thing I really noticed is just after hip slot, she pushes her front bicep slightly away from the torso. It's not much - maybe an inch or two.

View attachment 14210

At this point, when you push the hands forward, it prevents the bat head from coming forward/around. For that fraction of a second, the bat just stays in the same lag position while the hands come forward.

With the bat head around slightly sooner, she would be able to hit balls hard when they get deeper, and when they are outside. Maybe a few less popups, since the bat head would be higher at contact. Maybe more center field slams.

Improving this issue is one the things she is currently working on.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Finally got a chance to cut out some swings from last week's cage session...

She still has a lingering tendency to push her hands away from her shoulder (it's getting better), and her barrel path is a little too flat and around, rather than attacking steeper and more inside. However, I continue to be impressed with her suddenness. The work continues...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802