14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
She is using her arms to attempt to turn barrel instead of her forearms. Arms = shoulders. Forearms = hands/wrists. Keep working through and try and limit the arm usage. One of those deals that you have to give up control to gain something else.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She is using her arms to attempt to turn barrel instead of her forearms. Arms = shoulders. Forearms = hands/wrists. Keep working through and try and limit the arm usage. One of those deals that you have to give up control to gain something else.

Yes. It's going to take a bit to get her away from using her arms the way she has been. Turning the barrel with her hands is included in the new path of her instruction.

Sep 17, 2009
She's become an exciting athlete. I've shared same thoughts with you before about changing her handset to open up her back (I don't think she's trying to do a deltoid-type drill here since she's working on early batspeed as you say). She's obviously not comfortable with it but wonder if she's played around with it now that she's old enough to own her own swing and understand her body.

I like this as a good explanation and demo of how and why to do it that seems really applicable to her swing:

If you look at 3:07 I see him describe what she does in terms of bat entering the zone early, especially as in the third swing in the video YOU posted where she almost seems to be jamming herself because hands early to the ball means hips don't clear and hands have to pull in to stay inside the ball.

Hopefully you guys take this in spirit intended -- something to think about. It's been great to watch her get bigger stronger and be so committed to working. Good job Maddie :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog