14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
A few cage hacks from last night...

Working on some changes to her hand action and staying behind the ball.

Does she just toe tap in games or is that something she changed as well (now that she seems to be starting more open in her stance)?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Does she just toe tap in games or is that something she changed as well (now that she seems to be starting more open in her stance)?

She prefers an open stance, and has stopped the tap-back that she was using last year. These are things that she is doing on her own, depending on what is feeling best for her.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Her upper body actions remind me of Bryce Harper.... Has there been a focus on a pulling torso lately??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
An expanded clip of last night’s cage session...
https://youtu.be/g9SvatNq4gM

The cage work in these videos was Maddie feeling out some new instruction, including getting the barrel turing sooner rather than the hand push that has been in her swing. For the first time in a while, she’s feeling positive about her swing, and the new direction of her instruction.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Eric,

I don’t know if your looking for critiques. Personally to me she is back leg driven. The core never gets in front to leverage her swing, therefore her upper body load has to much slack(notice the excessive counter rotation) in some swings. In others she swings uphill with more hands(Kudos to her for trying to figure it out). The slack needs to be taken out immediately during the negative move. This sets up the positive move to stretch and leverage the core reactively as well as bypass the active shoulder involvement as well as ‘letting the hips lead’ BUT in a reactive way.

The flow should feel like front-back-front-back. Like 4 corners.
https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1056374051495600128?s=21
Puig is not my favorite. But it’s a good gif to see the flow of energy through the core.
Jmo. Omv.

Bottom line is the negative move needs resistance. I’m sure everyone is tired of me saying it. I know I am. :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
WW, almost on the same page here ... the slack needs to be removed as one is arriving towards their swing launch orientation, which occurs during the positive move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee