14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Not a big fan of the low handset BUT her hands get to where they need to be when it counts -- she brings her tilt to her hands vs. bringing her hands (down) to her tilt. Open yet back. Nice job Maddie squaring balls up high and low.

LlRxw-175LszcaxhX0LFklHB1eJBdxmUeqGQexloVkCwaLv2-xiF6Nh60yf_5izTY-lSEDVRY7Cp011G3Oy02mNpFOlcCAmmp_z6QE-nRySum5XIseNwg2coAkaWbdMAXtDxzVB-0tTyVrhrNwgJb8j34rUpAnuZ5Xjh1xGDgmnyDqySSG-eRNPtlQrjN4Mw4C3ZMSCOm1QoRXax--9gWm1aw95peMAGELWvwTKLWWB_NXiHeGNDI_Gu-wLI_PDMRgkT5XOb5KM_zW0_jb0MGEPUamkR3PtG8TTlA78BHb_D4gXQCI4zajXVoozFOJv0TC5YPQQgnTKNURiAebycTbrzHjyCKzvqcVTD7eeDDLhIB5CgtWH7q4M9S_moAGGQLSXcXdcISai86UgoJyM7nrYyQCcehjkLi1MAbY8-akVXz3HPg_J1GR2aAcHjp9vYImVNNtynB3zT9Om_ABIfYoAQQe8_4_xJwP_K0ydfx_nyTrtnyLiEX2GNKpZP5hEMJnLd5ID909Ky6wvVAbZOFOQT5Rm9lOAelvXc3HUDUiFLJhHe00YdhZQ21m5ptU9zqam1ZmWsuGOSDQikOjx3BFjChOswoZa5EGevSknV2bbix1BfI20mE43a2EJoIlY=w197-h279-no
Q-TUUjeUfDt2K4gBcPC4HsTVMmdurwg4Wv3lWmnvhN83pZEkxCmpPbKNHggLOrYFByG4vj-v0e8SQh671VVxV5QZBM8H9IU9w5ljp-JgpgJt2ceZI-FG4Iev5VbzXZCHLcgj_JPMsbNIpjXQ-3T3QWjpL_gUwVHpLBietQh0u9uspOmsWv74hmus6A62aGawuRP1QTMac0Y2I9KZGPq--mJQPmN0vFCU3GmouWIU99xb3yaTTGgsVDUdd1Bro_JEUvPebSof09tcOW-giK_IMPgmUIs2HIvolWJx77znwIRrg0CJ1ewJpTnTSx7iErwhxVseKIx_CBC_5UGf_cdMXlTEOj-BuWbp-o21rlWbzYsTLzfQrWvgiRGWJpiBixn442_HZcB4W17Px6WB2BvXdZO9Vi3MDL1qiSnBgGEh02JZq1GlsHx-mYjQk49p59KcQe-OVc9mLFXfxQZEP1eyeCvGJ7zWM0QPkQCmGhsquJIdtKegzYDZy_0Q6EnEv0QhZK1alsDzERPV4HRvvlV2z4Vixp18rHycAXn71q1o8f-AHXFGeQja1sF3lKpm6-qzhHvIrmg_Q-T4CuVjLzQvooh1VC9Fese7C-s8M_bY-ywhLPAviy_yXedzpNpDBpg=w166-h279-no

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not a big fan of the low handset BUT her hands get to where they need to be when it counts -- she brings her tilt to her hands vs. bringing her hands (down) to her tilt. Open yet back. Nice job Maddie squaring balls up high and low.

Early in her development, Maddie's tenancy was to push her hands down and back, straightening her lead arm prior to launch. There are parts of this movement pattern still ingrained in her muscle memory that hasn't been totally reprogrammed, and it will creep back into her swings from time to time. What we have found is that starting with her hands higher triggers her wanting to pull them lower before launch, which leads her right back into the problem area. Starting lower and working up to her launch position tends to be better for her. Very often, however, she isn't getting up high enough, and is very susceptible to pitches at the top of the zone.

Thanks for your input and kind words. :)

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks. IMO, she tends to be a bit too much "around" her body, rather than "out from", with extension finishing towards the dugout instead of the SS.

Have you ever used a wall as a constraint to help develop the “out from”?

Dec 4, 2013
I have not, but I'm considering giving it a try.

I’m a huge fan. If you need any more info on it lmk. I’ve been spending 95% of my time on developing the proper bat path with kids. It’s funny how once that is correct many other things just fall into place....

Dec 11, 2010
I’m a huge fan. If you need any more info on it lmk. I’ve been spending 95% of my time on developing the proper bat path with kids. It’s funny how once that is correct many other things just fall into place....

I’d love to know more. I have all the stuff to build one, just have to conclude the Christmas festivities

Dec 4, 2013
I’d love to know more. I have all the stuff to build one, just have to conclude the Christmas festivities

es8VJFE.jpg

I’m sure there are some easier ways, but I used ten 12” pieces of 1” PVC, 5 t’s, and a piece of hose. For younger kids I will use a shorter piece of pipe to lower it down some.

When starting with the wall I don’t even have a player stride. Get in an athletic position, turn barrel to the ball, keep your swing on the other side of the wall. We usually start at less than max effort. When that is perfected we increase the intensity. The two most common cues: “Turn the knob up” “Turn the barrel under your hands”

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
O
es8VJFE.jpg

I’m sure there are some easier ways, but I used ten 12” pieces of 1” PVC, 5 t’s, and a piece of hose. For younger kids I will use a shorter piece of pipe to lower it down some.

When starting with the wall I don’t even have a player stride. Get in an athletic position, turn barrel to the ball, keep your swing on the other side of the wall. We usually start at less than max effort. When that is perfected we increase the intensity. The two most common cues: “Turn the knob up” “Turn the barrel under your hands”

I bullt this:
I started with the four connections and a 10’ 1&1/4 PVC pipe.

I cut 2 30” pieces.
Then a 28” piece
Then 2 20” pieces into 4 10” pieces.

I didnt measure the initial stick but it was sold as 10’. Clearly it was longer than 120” but you see in the picture that I only used 1 10” piece on one end. I could have probably capped it off. If you get a true 120” stick it will still work.

$16.00 total outlay. Already had the sawzall.

Im guessing with the tee connector on the bottom, my wall is 32” tall. It feels high for me. Spartans, I see yours is around 24-26” total height. Easy enough to saw some off if needed. I’m going to have my DD try it first.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Swing looks confident. My guess is she doesn't strike out much.

" Starting lower and working up to her launch position tends to be better for her. Very often, however, she isn't getting up high enough, and is very susceptible to pitches at the top of the zone."

Would be concerned that when the riseball really starts to rise (16U) this ^^^^ along with the low elbow maybe problematic. She is leaving power on the table with the non scap use/ low elbow. But that being said, the ball only needs to go 200 feet and with pitchers throwing 60 + mph and bats like Ghost the ball drifts out pretty often. Went to a UCLA game earlier this year. Final score 12 to 2 with 8 HRS. Some of the HRS were just pop ups that floated out. I guess what I am saying is this idea of having the most optimal HL elite power swing is really not that important unless they move the fence back to say 250- 275 foot range.

Dec 4, 2013
Swing looks confident. My guess is she doesn't strike out much.

" Starting lower and working up to her launch position tends to be better for her. Very often, however, she isn't getting up high enough, and is very susceptible to pitches at the top of the zone."

Would be concerned that when the riseball really starts to rise (16U) this ^^^^ along with the low elbow maybe problematic. She is leaving power on the table with the non scap use/ low elbow. But that being said, the ball only needs to go 200 feet and with pitchers throwing 60 + mph and bats like Ghost the ball drifts out pretty often. Went to a UCLA game earlier this year. Final score 12 to 2 with 8 HRS. Some of the HRS were just pop ups that floated out. I guess what I am saying is this idea of having the most optimal HL elite power swing is really not that important unless they move the fence back to say 250- 275 foot range.

I definitely hear what you are saying about balls flying out of the park at a high rate and not needing high level mechanics to do that. That being said, having high level mechanics is going to allow you to swing more efficiently, square balls up more consistently, and improve your launch quickness, allowing you more time to read/react to pitches. IMO everybody can benefit from this.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802