14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
She is casting to much, some casting is good as Mankin has said. She is casting a little to much.
Could be wrong but I think Eric referred to this already when he said she lets her hands out too much and hits around the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She is casting to much, some casting is good as Mankin has said. She is casting a little to much.

What you see as casting, I'm seeing has her turning the barrel behind her. I'm okay with what she's doing in that regard. The hands drifting out, however, is an issue that needs adjustment.

Sep 29, 2014
It was outside-ish. I would rather see her keep her HPP closer to her body and attack from the inside to drive it oppo.
True don't want to see her turn into one of those power hitters who pulls everything and can't hit the outside pitch oppo for a double down the line or even a HR eventually pitchers will exploit that

May 12, 2016
True don't want to see her turn into one of those power hitters who pulls everything and can't hit the outside pitch oppo for a double down the line or even a HR eventually pitchers will exploit that
How haven't they already? I believe Eric said Maddie is 15 now. Surely she has encountered a pitcher who lives low outside who can spin it and change speeds. How did she make out against those pitchers Eric?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How haven't they already? I believe Eric said Maddie is 15 now. Surely she has encountered a pitcher who lives low outside who can spin it and change speeds. How did she make out against those pitchers Eric?

Maddie's weakness is low-out, for sure, but can still get her bat there. It's just not usually with a good move and HR power. We are working towards tightening her pivot and creating a better barrel path to the ball for those pitches. Her habit of adjusting her hand position away from the shoulder is proving to be a tough nut to crack.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ever try the swing rail? Deltoid drill? The swing rail is hard to use at game speed full swings but for dry swings it does give instant feedback. Her swing looks so powerful. Its good that you/her and the coach are not satisfied and are always striving to get better.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ever try the swing rail? Deltoid drill? The swing rail is hard to use at game speed full swings but for dry swings it does give instant feedback. Her swing looks so powerful. Its good that you/her and the coach are not satisfied and are always striving to get better.

Maddie tried the Swing Rail with her previous hitting instructor. I messed with it a little, too. I don't like it, and wouldn't ever recommend it. It literally prevents the action we want - turning the barrel around the rear forearm behind the shoulder. The Swing Rail promotes a hand push and out-front barrel speed. There are better ways to work on tightening up the hand pivot point that don't restrict the ability to turn the barrel.

The deltoid drill has some benefit for certain situations, but I generally prefer using the top of the shoulder (neck slot) for that kind of connection work.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Maddie's weakness is low-out, for sure, but can still get her bat there. It's just not usually with a good move and HR power. We are working towards tightening her pivot and creating a better barrel path to the ball for those pitches. Her habit of adjusting her hand position away from the shoulder is proving to be a tough nut to crack.
Makes sense, figured there would of been a couple good teams and pitcher who would attempt not to pitch her inside or down the middle.

Have you seen the latest from TM.. simple but effective

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Last 14yo swing...

Her back leg isn't quite working right. She also has a lingering tendency to adjust her hands away from her body and hit around outside pitches, instead of keeping the pivot point tighter and attacking from the inside.

Eric, if your trying to match Rich's pattern why not just have her work on swinging from one leg while snapping the barrel from behind ? I would think that will force her to swing from behind with a tighter hand pivot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28