14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I like her HR trot. Confident not over excited. Almost like she replaying in her mind what just happened. Burning it into the memory banks for recall and visualization skills. So strong. Mechanics are overrated. Lot of guys (girls) with perfect swings but not getting it done in the box. Intentions, confidence, relaxed focus, visualizing, timing and hitting IQ (understanding pitch counts and even guessing sometimes against tougher pitching) is more important than precision mechanics.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like her HR trot. Confident not over excited. Almost like she replaying in her mind what just happened. Burning it into the memory banks for recall and visualization skills. So strong. Mechanics are overrated. Lot of guys (girls) with perfect swings but not getting it done in the box. Intentions, confidence, relaxed focus, visualizing, timing and hitting IQ (understanding pitch counts and even guessing sometimes against tougher pitching) is more important than precision mechanics.

She's been getting some good HR trot practice recently - LOL. In contrast, one of her teammates hit her first HR of the season last week, and was so excited that she flew around the bases faster than the team could get out of the dugout to meet her at home plate.

I'm not sure about the "mechanics are overrated" thing. There are a lot of factors that go into being a good hitter, and getting the bat on the ball at the right time is the single biggest one. If your mechanics make it difficult to be on time, then mechanics become a limiting factor. Good mechanics allow all the other things (intent, etc.) to function at their highest level.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I know mechanics are important. If the fences remain at 200 feet then hitters need mechanics that can hit the ball 210 feet. I went to a UCLA vs LB game that had 8 HRs. Shorter and more compact swings that are easier to time should dominate. I agree with you that timing is critical. Part of timing is confidence, intentions, approach and relaxed focus.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What do you mean by 'shorter' swing? And why would a 'shorter' swing be easier to time?

You just need to get the front foot down when the ball is halfway, so it should make no difference when you start.
Smaller hand radius. Hands a little closer to the body. Not a big emphasis on extension.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This past week, Maddie played her final games of 14U ball at the PGF Premier National Championships. A couple of Maddie's final 14U hits..

Final stats for 2019 spring/summer... AVG .433, OBP .500, SLG .702, HR 3. As usual, she lead her team in HBP (10) - LOL. More importantly, this is the first season since moving to TB in 10U that she hasn't missed games due to injury.

Maddie has really loved the teammates and coaches on her team of the last 2 years, and the team was a great fit for her during that time, but the team is ending. The upcoming move to 16U will be more focused on an team/organization that is strong with recruiting, and is playing at the top level of the game. We have been discussing a few good options for her, and tryouts are coming up over the next couple of weeks. The final decision is all hers.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A little surprised at only 3 dingers. Great numbers!

"The final decision is all hers."
She will need guidance and advice from dear ole dad.

Jun 8, 2016
This past week, Maddie played her final games of 14U ball at the PGF Premier National Championships. A couple of Maddie's final 14U hits..

Final stats for 2019 spring/summer... AVG .433, OBP .500, SLG .702, HR 3. As usual, she lead her team in HBP (10) - LOL. More importantly, this is the first season since moving to TB in 10U that she hasn't missed games due to injury.

Maddie has really loved the teammates and coaches on her team of the last 2 years, and the team was a great fit for her during that time, but the team is ending. The upcoming move to 16U will be more focused on an team/organization that is strong with recruiting, and is playing at the top level of the game. We have been discussing a few good options for her, and tryouts are coming up over the next couple of weeks. The final decision is all hers.

Congrats on the stellar year. I am sure she will find a team which is a great fit for her!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598