14yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
But hopefully she does before dad has a meltdown ;)
Actually that might be what gets rid of it if by meltdown you mean me being in a room without sharp objects surrounded by 4 padded walls.."Wow I guess Dad really cared so much that he went bonkers over it..I guess now would be a good time to get rid of it. It is just too bad he won't be able to see it since they don't allow facebook live in the Mental Asylum " :LOL:

Edit: Sorry @Eric F ..I will stop messing up your thread now.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric - How is Maddie working on this. My DD has a similar issue where the bat head is turned down if you will and were getting pop ups, foul backs, just misses, etc. For mine its also about timing. Id like for her to hit the ball out front a little more often which I think will obviously help too. Thanks!
For Maddie, reprogramming her movements to maintain a tighter pivot point around the hands, and not push the hands forward is part of the goal. This is very much about learning to TTB with the hands/forearms and make contact a bit deeper.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The swing in Post#94 got a good result. Here's something she could work on to keep improving.

This is just after heel drop.

View attachment 14540

This is the point when she dropped her back elbow to almost vertical.

Notice the bat head barely moved. The elbow and the bat head should have moved in unison prior to this. Work with her in dry drills to get a feel for moving the bat head with the elbow.

Also notice that her back elbow did not come down to the hip when she dropped it. It's way away from her hip/belt. I think she probably takes her hands too far away from her armpit/shoulder before this which is causing this.

All of this leads to this.
View attachment 14541

This is her slightly bat dragging. She must get her arms fully extended way out front to get her max power with this. I would just tell her to always keep her hands ahead of her elbow.

Here is Manny in comparison.
View attachment 14542

Notice:
1) the bat head moving in unison with the back elbow drop.
2) the back elbow drops to the hip/belt
3) the rear forearm at hip slot, is not leaning backwards, but is leaning forward (hands well ahead of the back elbow)

Was just telling someone that as good as you are at each level, you must keep getting better so you can continue to advance.

One carry-over from Maddie’s early swings, and DBSF pattern, is the feeling of extending the lead arm. What used to be a down and back push became a push away from the shoulder. Trying to tighten this up and maintain the pivot point a little more in front and closer to the shoulder is part of her current work. On outside pitches, especially, she tends to move her pivot point away and hit around the ball instead of maintaining a tighter pivot and adjusting her barrel path to attic from inside. We saw some good progress in the cage with this week.

One of the things we’re also seeing is her tendency to want to turn hard with shoulders. It results in pretty much everything going left. We are working on her staying closed a little longer.

EDIT: After another look at this swing, I disagree with some of your observation about barrel movement. As her elbow comes down, the barrel moves in unison with the elbow, turning rearward into the swing plane. I’m happy with this movement and would not ask her to adjust anything about it. I would like to see that pivot point closer to her shoulder, however.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The swing in Post#94 got a good result. Here's something she could work on to keep improving.

This is just after heel drop.

View attachment 14540

This is the point when she dropped her back elbow to almost vertical.

Notice the bat head barely moved. The elbow and the bat head should have moved in unison prior to this. Work with her in dry drills to get a feel for moving the bat head with the elbow.

Also notice that her back elbow did not come down to the hip when she dropped it. It's way away from her hip/belt. I think she probably takes her hands too far away from her armpit/shoulder before this which is causing this.

All of this leads to this.
View attachment 14541

This is her slightly bat dragging. She must get her arms fully extended way out front to get her max power with this. I would just tell her to always keep her hands ahead of her elbow.

Here is Manny in comparison.
View attachment 14542

Notice:
1) the bat head moving in unison with the back elbow drop.
2) the back elbow drops to the hip/belt
3) the rear forearm at hip slot, is not leaning backwards, but is leaning forward (hands well ahead of the back elbow)

Was just telling someone that as good as you are at each level, you must keep getting better so you can continue to advance.

You know Manny didn't swing like that all the time. The hands are forward and above the shoulder, so they have to travel down farther into the plane of the shoulders. Just looking at the swing it looks like an inside pitch so the hands travel forward/down more then usual.

Apr 26, 2015
So cool! The ball flies here in CO! Nicely done!

I’m sure we must have played against some DFP girls but I have no idea who. DD played 14U - gold bracket...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So cool! The ball flies here in CO! Nicely done!

I’m sure we must have played against some DFP girls but I have no idea who. DD played 14U - gold bracket...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which team are you with?

We went 2-2 in pool play, losing to 1 team that we should be able to compete closely with, and another team that we should usually beat (such is the nature of the game...especially with our team). We ended up with 3 teams tied 2-2 in the pool, but having the lowest RD dumped us into 5th in the pool and the bronze bracket. We beat the #1 team in our pool and RR'd the #4 team. 1 more win would have put us 1st in the pool. Oh, well. In bracket play, we had blow-out win and a nice comeback win on Friday, followed by two fast 10-0 wins on Saturday and Sunday morning, but lost to the bronze bracket winner in the semis.

Apr 26, 2015
Which team are you with?

We went 2-2 in pool play, losing to 1 team that we should be able to compete closely with, and another team that we should usually beat (such is the nature of the game...especially with our team). We ended up with 3 teams tied 2-2 in the pool, but having the lowest RD dumped us into 5th in the pool and the bronze bracket. We beat the #1 team in our pool and RR'd the #4 team. 1 more win would have put us 1st in the pool. Oh, well. In bracket play, we had blow-out win and a nice comeback win on Friday, followed by two fast 10-0 wins on Saturday and Sunday morning, but lost to the bronze bracket winner in the semis.

DD plays for the Psyclones. We went 3-1 in pool - beating the #3 team on a walk off double by DD. We thought we were playing for silver either way but there was an upset and we wound up #2 in our pool which was very cool. Once bracket play started DD's team's best pitcher was on a cruise so she was gone and our #2 was really struggling to throw strikes. We had to go with our #3 and she did amazing but doesn't have the stamina to go several games in a row. We won our first bracket game and then lost our second to a Colorado team that we have to play every weekend. It was so frustrating. Oh well...Lost the next morning because HC was trying to give our #2 another chance to pitch and we just got too far behind. No runs scored after she was pulled. Overall very proud of our girls...it was good run!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478