14u video analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2018
DD is working hard. The experts on this site have always been so helpful to her progress, so I figured it was time for another round of advice. She is inconsistent with her speed. She has hit 56 a handful of times, but usually hovers around 53. All of the clips below are fastballs at 53. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvh0Bfsf-4U

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Looking good working hard. Tell her congrats.

I see what this coach talks about.

- Balswick Fastpitch - Video 1

- Balswick Fastpitch - Video 2

- Balswick Fastpitch - Video 3

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
DD is working hard. The experts on this site have always been so helpful to her progress, so I figured it was time for another round of advice. She is inconsistent with her speed. She has hit 56 a handful of times, but usually hovers around 53. All of the clips below are fastballs at 53. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I like this Balswick gentleman by the way. My first piece of advice is try one thing at a time as logically as possible. Many inconsistency issues start from the ground, so you might start there.

Have you ever seen a girl swing a bat that made her look like a tail wagging a dog? That is the impression I get. I would suggest a much shorter step-back, or technically, "start-back". When the step back there is extreme, that front leg is over-working just to get the hips over the pitching rubber. It is really inefficient. The hips should be directly above the back foot when the ideal 30% forward lean starts. That forces the weight over the front knee. She is moving 18 inches before a normal pitch would start. Evidence that is it an issue? Watch her legs come together at the end, and the resulting forward lean in her upper body. Her leg closer is weak. Her upper body is compensating for the back leg, or anchor dragging behind her. That slows her pitch. If her legs close with energy she will be upright at release. This Amanda Scarborough, a good pitching coach. Your daughter is using the "start-back" process now. Stick to it the way Amanda demonstrates because it is acceptable in all the alphabet soup of Associations including those that apply the "step-back" rule.

Secondly, your daughter is landing on her toe, not a flat foot. Bad for the knee actually! There are two elements to this issue. In truth she is over-striding. Now the Lehman's idea is that the longer the stride the better. If it did in fact help, striding 6" further would improve speed by 0.8 mph. But that isn't how it works! Arm speed is limited to leg speed. The arm can't travel faster than the legs. The leg speed can be improved. But fundamentally try to create a leg speed that forces maximum reasonable arm speed. They factor of speed increase is hugely more dynamic than the gain of 6" closer to the batter. And arm speed is reduced dramatically. I suggest a stride length that is 5.5 times her shoe length, not more than 6. You can research this but it is simply physics and you will find out I am right. Now for the "toe" issue. Just view these videos.

bucket drills
high knee finish drill; excellent!

I coached for 15 years in Europe until 2017. This is Rebecca Soumeru of Netherlands who demonstrates well the mechanics I teach.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-11-11-14-02.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-11-11-14-02.png
    776.4 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1590801840154.jpg
    FB_IMG_1590801840154.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 29
  • received_1322839937731811.jpeg
    received_1322839937731811.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Much of @Quasimodo ’s analysis is in line with what I saw. Starting behind the runner is advantageous to a certain point. She is past that point though. It might be a personal preference, but I don’t like the glove going so far over head - just a wasted movement IMO.

I asked about the tincher instructor because when she rocks back her left foot goes to the heel and I know they advocate staying on the ball of foot on the left foot in the backswing you keep posture over the rubber.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Much of @Quasimodo ’s analysis is in line with what I saw. Starting behind the runner is advantageous to a certain point. She is past that point though. It might be a personal preference, but I don’t like the glove going so far over head - just a wasted movement IMO.

I asked about the tincher instructor because when she rocks back her left foot goes to the heel and I know they advocate staying on the ball of foot on the left foot in the backswing you keep posture over the rubber.

Well, when they expect more results they tend toward ever increasing hyper movement, foot turns at the rubber, and forcing the hips open and reaching. Hopefully she will follow the advice in stages.

Oct 26, 2019
Well, when they expect more results they tend toward ever increasing hyper movement, foot turns at the rubber, and forcing the hips open and reaching. Hopefully she will follow the advice in stages.
So many kids and PC’s attempt to increase the stride length of their pitchers. From what I can see stride length is a by product of good drive and when you try to achieve more stride length just for the sake of increasing stride length (and not increased drive) it ends up throwing quite a few things out of whack.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It looks like the shoulder closes a little early and she is getting on top of the front leg. Keep the shoulder open and throw against the front leg better. This should create the body unloading, which will close the shoulder.

I like the other posts as well. I like the info on dragging out the footwork, which makes the leg drive slower and then arm speed is being affected. You want fast feet, fast arm.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The second clip he gets a little lost. The info on and how the hips function is little off. You can keep the hips from opening all the way or at 45 degrees throughout the motion. Similar to pitchers who keep the shoulders facing the plate or keeping them closed so they only open to let the arm come overhead. These pitchers “look” like they have closing rotation, when in fact they start there and stay there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802