14U Swing help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Turn the barrel is not a pattern, it is a hand action. Carpenter turns the barrel better than just about anyone.

Carpenter's barrel whip is a result and isn't forcing a hand/forearm action. His priority is getting into his legs (hitting position).

AJ, and Dicarlo are good examples of the pattern you refer to.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
on every swing her timing is late.
It's optimal to make contact with the ball about even with the front foot.
She is letting the ball get very (too) deep...

I see her lead elbow staying pinned to her body and below the level of her hands.
Generally, you like to see the lead elbow working upwards, and elevating higher than the hands.
Create a plane where angle of lead forearm matches bat.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She is ABAF and pushes flattened hands. She starts turning well before her foot comes down. I think some would call it a gated swing. Justin Stone drill.

Sep 17, 2009
Carpenter's barrel whip is a result and isn't forcing a hand/forearm action. His priority is getting into his legs (hitting position).

AJ, and Dicarlo are good examples of the pattern you refer to.
I don't agree and think this is a false argument on many levels. Generally I'd say it's ok and let it go and just ignore it but this false choice has become the primary topic of conversation here. Which is too bad because it's becoming all about chasing down a ghost who's not even here.

You say turning the barrel is a forced hand action. I say it's how you work the handle as ONE part of an overall swing sequence, an idea as old as baseball (he's got good hands, etc. etc).

All that said, I have no idea what 'getting into your legs' or 'having your core pull' ACTUALLY means or more specifically how you'd tell a hitter to do either one (outside of showing a video of Bonds sinking into his legs for a change-up and calling that a pattern). Those things happen in a swing but they neither are primary *actions*. I like swing approaches that teach actions, not that describe actions that have happened.

No need to respond. It's cool.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don't agree and think this is a false argument on many levels. Generally I'd say it's ok and let it go and just ignore it but this false choice has become the primary topic of conversation here. Which is too bad because it's becoming all about chasing down a ghost who's not even here.

You say turning the barrel is a forced hand action. I say it's how you work the handle as ONE part of an overall swing sequence, an idea as old as baseball (he's got good hands, etc. etc).

All that said, I have no idea what 'getting into your legs' or 'having your core pull' ACTUALLY means or more specifically how you'd tell a hitter to do either one (outside of showing a video of Bonds sinking into his legs for a change-up and calling that a pattern). Those things happen in a swing but they neither are primary *actions*. I like swing approaches that teach actions, not that describe actions that have happened.

No need to respond. It's cool.

Rich, I agree no need to muddy this thread.. Getting into a hitting position is a priority for Carpenter and others as well. It's what allows hitters to be on time for multiple pitches dynamically. He made the statement in the video I posted at bbd and he shows it here as well after his take. The hands forearms are very important in directing the energy of the whip.

5WQvT0O.gif

vah2fp1.gif

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
'having your core pull'
Having your obliques and core muscles stretch and then pull the shoulders around and then throwing the barrel. That is not that hard to understand. The swing unwinds. Throwing frisbees or bats can get them to understand the pull and throw feeling.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Need some tips for a first year 14U player. Normally a good contact hitter, lately has seen a lot of strikeouts. We may be trying a new batting coach if something doesn't click. I won't mention what I see to sway replies, but would like comments on what can be done better.

There is a few things that go wrong in your DDs sequence. She ‘walks away from her hands’ too much. The hands should get sucked into the body during the forward move(especially with a big forward move and handset like your DDs). She also drops her hands and swings ‘up’.

These 2 errors combine to make for a draggy, long swing that would frustrate anyone. I think if you fix the ‘loading’ of the hands the dropping might go away.

I would work on her load. I would teach her to let her hands GET loaded. Instead of trying to load them. If the load is correct the ‘knob at the catcher’ will be a result. Not an action.

Nov 16, 2017
What I am seeing is the most common error of all young batters. Her hands drop first. She first needs to understand that those hands dropping are what is causing 90% of the problem. All those stuff about fyb and separation, and on and on are only useful once the correct path has been established. Her top hand never establishes an "oar lock". Have her hit high tee, front elbow up back elbow down. Ball must go straight out or slightly up. Learn to swing from here first. Then once this becomes her swing move on to the other stuff.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Here she is at toe touch:

1) the rear elbow has already dropped
1b) which means she begins her swing in mid-air on one foot
1c) which probably means she's coiling outward way too soon. (as you coil the hips out/open, the elbow drops)

2) Her hands are way too far away from her armpit. She should be able to take her top thumb and touch her shoulder.
3) her bat is pointed the wrong direction

All of this results in severe bat drag (hands behind the back elbow)

1) get in front of a mirror and practice coiling hips and shoulders inward as you stride to toe touch. Just simply rotate the torso. Also, keep the rear heel down as long as possible,

2) then add pulling the elbow back (like a bow) as you go. Make sure the rear forearm is roughly flat at toe touch.

3) make sure the hands are no more that thumb's length from shoulder.

4) get the bat head pointed up, with knob pointed back towards the catcher.

This should fix it, for free.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802