14U Swing Assesment?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
tumblr_pqdjfoy4ia1usf292o1_400.gif

Hitter is making adjustment with the body after the swing is launched(my launch). Body should/is making the adjustment prior to swing launch.
source.gif

RD, regarding the lower body only, what do you see as the difference between the right GIF of OP's DD and right GIF of Miggy?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Update with recent cage swings off pitching machine (set to 60mph)

Vid on right is after given the cue to "deepen" the rear knee on swings.
Seemed to really help with hip rotation/front side resistance.

Through 5 HS games DD is hitting very well:
.556AVG, 2.048OPS, 2HR

Much improved., The effort level during her ‘load’ portion is over endulged. Which causes the downstream posture issues she has. Which in turn makes her drag the barrel a bit.

Happens a lot when kids are told ‘it’s your LOAD’. They naturally think more or harder is better.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

source.gif

RD, regarding the lower body only, what do you see as the difference between the right GIF of OP's DD and right GIF of Miggy?
Miggy's body is making the adjustment, during the 'loading',(don't forget the upper/hands) before the swing is launched.
regarding the lower body only, what do you see as the difference between the right GIF of OP's DD and right GIF of Miggy?
Miggy's weight stays back. Miggy has a rear hip pivot point the hitter as a front hip pivot point.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

source.gif

Miggy's body is making the adjustment, during the 'loading',(don't forget the upper/hands) before the swing is launched.

Miggy's weight stays back. Miggy has a rear hip pivot point the hitter as a front hip pivot point.

Thanks RD, I think it is my lack of understanding of everything involved with the swing. But i was more curious on the mechanical side of the lower body. i dont know how, but if i layered both gifs on top of one another, i am curious what the specific differences in the location and timing of the legs and hips.

i guess i cannot differentiate in these 2 gifs the rear hip pivot vs the front hip pivot. I see the left leg extending with with a plant foot angle towards the front of the plate, then both twisting into a more forward postion. As well both rear hips seems to keep the load thru the forward move, start to turn after toe touch, and foot gets pulled forward with a little hop. Miggy's knee actually stops a little short of the front knee, but other than that, i really cannot see the mechanical difference is the lower half.

Upper half seems to be a little forward and hands and arms are different, but just curious what i am missing.

thanks.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do you see Miggy's upper body going forward or staying back.
Do you think Miggy's hips rotate or are they resisting rotating.
Do you think Miggy's rear leg is weighted during the swing.
Miggy gets 'sat' the other hitter gets taller.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

She does loose the tilt and comes out of her posture, straightens up (torso comes out of it's posture).

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

I guess I don’t know what I see which is why I am asking. I wasn’t asking about the torso but more on the lower body.
As far as his hips...I don’t know what they are doing. How does one resist rotation? If one is resisting, then something has to be forcing, right?
Is Miggys led weighted? I don’t know what that means. His right leg lifts up off the ground so I guess ‘no’ it is not weighted, instead it is unweighted.
When say ‘sat’ are you saying her hips rise up vs Miggy? I saw it that the plant foot drove up and back the same as Miggy. Again which is why I was curious the difference. If you are saying his hips stay level and she does not then I will look at that. But relatively to each other I thought they were not different.

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2013
Fanboi, I haven't read all the responses here, but I think the issue is with the front leg usage (or front hip). I'm looking at the swing on the right with the young lady and Miggy's swing on the left. His swing on the right is a high pitch so he's adjusting to it. Anyhow, notice how she's "hopping" up. Put a pointer (pencil, finger, pen) on her back hip as it starts rotating forward. Notice how she "hops" up a good 6" at the end of that rotation? Now look at Miggy's. I've used this analysis before, but imagine you're opening a valve with one of those big steering wheel like levers. The right hand is pushing forward, the left hand pulling back. Equal but opposite forces trying to rotate the valve counter clock-wise. Now imagine that valve is your hips. This young lady is pushing with the right well, but the left is pulling up on that wheel instead of back. She's losing power because of that, and a side affect is pulling her body up off the pitch some.

This is all minuscule opinion based off what I'm reading on this page, I haven't followed the whole discussion. :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Insert dead horse:

Quad-centric loading causes over usage of the anterior side which in turn creates depth and direction/posture issues in the sequence.

Posterior loading is key to controlling ones load and body throughout the sequence. As well as filtering energy properly. Kinetic chain.

Try it before you buy it. Load the quad and move out. Load the heel and move out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2