14U Swing Assesment?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Update with recent cage swings off pitching machine (set to 60mph)

Vid on right is after given the cue to "deepen" the rear knee on swings.
Seemed to really help with hip rotation/front side resistance.

Through 5 HS games DD is hitting very well:
.556AVG, 2.048OPS, 2HR

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_pqdjgyH4zP1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_pqdjfoy4ia1usf292o1_400.gif

May 12, 2016
My DD experiences the same thing.. what causes her to stand tall at contact? I see the same thing with my DD's back foot, skipping forward too much into a firm front side.. I guess that would force the entire body into an more upright position

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
My DD experiences the same thing.. what causes her to stand tall at contact? I see the same thing with my DD's back foot, skipping forward too much into a firm front side.. I guess that would force the entire body into an more upright position

I had seen in prior posts by FFS where he shows a spot on the plant foot hip (left hip for a RHB), his expectation i think was that the plant foot somehow straightens out and drives the left hip back, helping the right hip come thru. If the plant leg is straight the whole time, i wouldn't think that would be able to happen. I ask, because this hitter looks to be pretty straight with left leg and it twists up and straight with the hip not moving back much. allowing the body to drive up instead.

Now i have no idea what this means if anything and will start another thread if there is no value with it here. I see it more in the first vid and less in the second. More drive with the right hip in the second vid.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
More drive with the right hip in the second vid.

Yes - this was the point of experimenting with different cues, to help solve the problem of her hip rotation "stalling" into contact.
You can see the hips stall in the left-side vid. Her hip rotation stops just before contact and never rotates any further.
In the right-side vid, the cue to "deepen" her rear knee bend seems to free-up her hips to rotate to and through contact.
So I view this change as a positive.
As she grew accustomed to this new feel, her mechanics seemed to improve even more with regard to posture at contact.
Started "wedging" with the front foot/heel and getting better resistance, and more rearward posture without riding up on the front leg as much.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_pqdwugeMDA1usf292o1_100.gif

Started "wedging" with the front foot/heel and getting better resistance, and more rearward posture without riding up on the front leg as much.
Nope.......................
given the cue to "deepen" the rear knee
Don't know what that means.....
JMHO the rear leg is/should be the 'driver'....above the rear knee inner thigh area is where it should be felt.
The front leg is causing the 'problem'. Upper body is a result needs to be looked at.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_pqdjfoy4ia1usf292o1_400.gif

Hitter is making adjustment with the body after the swing is launched(my launch). Body should/is making the adjustment prior to swing launch.
source.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Not sure I would be trying to start working on making mechanical changes when hitting off a pitching machine throwing 60...or a pitching machine in general. Slowish front toss first then ramp up the speed on the front toss. Then move to the machine throwing gas when she is consistent with the front toss. But that is just me...

Aug 20, 2017
Her timing was better on the second swing. Timing was bad on first swing. When timing is good lower half looks better than if timing is bad.

Aug 20, 2017
I would tell her to stay down in her legs longer. She comes out of her legs at contact. Loses some of that ground force reaction. I also like to see some type of negative move early. I like hitter to get into there back butt check slowly and early and stride slow. She looks susceptible to off speed and fastballs away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom