14u player, looking for opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
I'm linking a video of a player on my team I'm working with. A few things that we've been addressing is the bat wrap she has right from the beginning. We've been working to lengthen her stride a bit more as well. What is concerning me and I'm struggling to fix is how compact she is at contact. When we started working on her swing, she would swing VERY long with a ton of bat lag, now she is too compact and almost spins off the ball and doesn't stay in the zone.

Her hips don't seem to lead the way I'd like, will fixing the bat wrap and working on firing the hips help fix this issue? Or at least begin to fix it? Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance

Nov 16, 2017
Good: Bat path looks pretty good. Nice turning of the triangle.

Bad: All back, All forward swing. She needs a negative movement in the upper body while the lower body is moving forward.

I'll just be the first to post this because it is coming soon enough!

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
It looks she is over counter-rotating her shoulders. Players who do a lot of tee work often develop this flaw because their head and eyes stay focused on the tee location instead of tracking a pitched ball. Tee work is good but it helps to have them look out and visualize a pitch and only find the tee just before launch. I sometimes actually place balls on tees placed at 20 feet and 10 feet so they actually have something to look at. and visualize the track. Hopefully this will help her move her triangle back more with the rear shoulder blade/elbow and less with the counter-rotation of the shoulders.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802