14u new to pitching and looking for feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2020
She decided a little over a year ago she wanted to try pitching. She started getting lessons at that time but still have a long way to go. She has some issues with twisting her push foot and keeping her backswing straight. I didn't know what I/R or forearm fire was until finding this message board a few months back. To me it looks like she is doing something that is not I/R but not exactly H/E either. Ball normally is facing 3B at 9:00 position and I believe it should be palm up. Anyway, I was looking for some feedback and ideas on what to focus on. Thanks,

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Her leg drive looks good and she looks like an athletic kid, but she needs to do a whole bunch of work. Her IR is not good, her front side resistance needs work and it looks like she is monkey-butting.

Your DD looks a little like Samantha Show, so take a look at Samantha's motion...

Here is what your DD should do:

1) Go to the IR in The Classroom thread. It is one the first threads DFP. The thread discusses a series of drills Start at the beginning and work through each drill suggested by @BoardMember. https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/i-r-in-the-classroom.10321/ I attached pictures showing "the magician finish" for pitching....palm down and arm extended.

2) Front side resistance. Your DD should not a step forward after she throws. The thread you need to read is the Front Side Resistance thread, which is also one of the first threads here. https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/front-side-resistance.19828/ My guess is your DD will pick this up quickly.

3) Your DD seems to be monkey-butting. The pitcher should keep her butt under her shoulders and over her legs when she throws. Your DD appears to be sticking her butt out when she gets open.

Monkey butting is related to brush interference. Your DD's arm should be brushing the side of her hips when she throws.

Your DD has some talent, but she has to go to work to fix this stuff now.

Attachments

• garcia-after-release.JPG
    garcia-after-release.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 37
  • pauly-finish.JPG
    pauly-finish.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 35
  • barnhill.JPG
    barnhill.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020
Her leg drive looks good and she looks like an athletic kid, but she needs to do a whole bunch of work. Her IR is not good, her front side resistance needs work and it looks like she is monkey-butting.

Your DD looks a little like Samantha Show, so take a look at Samantha's motion...

Here is what your DD should do:

1) Go to the IR in The Classroom thread. It is one the first threads DFP. The thread discusses a series of drills Start at the beginning and work through each drill suggested by @BoardMember. https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/i-r-in-the-classroom.10321/ I attached pictures showing "the magician finish" for pitching....palm down and arm extended.

2) Front side resistance. Your DD should not a step forward after she throws. The thread you need to read is the Front Side Resistance thread, which is also one of the first threads here. https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/front-side-resistance.19828/ My guess is your DD will pick this up quickly.

3) Your DD seems to be monkey-butting. The pitcher should keep her butt under her shoulders and over her legs when she throws. Your DD appears to be sticking her butt out when she gets open.

Monkey butting is related to brush interference. Your DD's arm should be brushing the side of her hips when she throws.

Your DD has some talent, but she has to go to work to fix this stuff now.

Thanks a lot. She does have an issue with leaning forward and I'm guessing that plays into the issue with front side resistance. I missed the thread on it and will check it out. We'll start on the IR drills also. Thanks again

Sep 29, 2014
Couple things mostly common issues:

- Keep working on leg drive looks good but could be better read about sprinters position and double H's should be in sticky thread
- She does have a little bend at the waist and lean over thing going on at release but it doesn't look terrible, continue focusing on staying straight and tall as a cue it might help (no monkey butt).
- You are correct as she comes down to release she does have the ball towards third when it should be palm up but even if she could hold that it wouldn't be too bad the problem is she continues rotating and is palm behind the ball at release..a good cue here might be lead with the pinky (again just a cue to help her understand what should be happening)
- Finally working on brush resistance...one odd thing i noticed is she comes off her front foot really quickly and it almost looks like she is throwing off her toe at release. She really needs to plant the front foot (heel) down and have it firmly down at release, this is probably also what causes her to follow through forward instead of just falling more back. It's her back heel that should be off the ground and she should be on her back toe laces to the catcher.

Probably too much jargon there...please ping back with any questions you have and I or probably a few others could help decipher what I mean in each instance

Feb 6, 2020
We've been working on some of the drills that have been pointed out to us from the IR thread and working on her frontside resistance and drag as well. She has come a long way since we started working on it a little over a year ago. Wish I knew about this board sooner. Hopefully she'll catch on fast. One odd thing was that she had started throwing a drop/curve and seems to have lost it after trying to figure out IR. Trying not to throw to much at her at once and probably a good idea to not worry about movement pitches until we get some of the basics figured out. Thanks

Feb 6, 2020
Wanted to check to see what I should be seeing from this. Swimming/opening up, Front foot heal raised? Back foot should be toe down. Leaning forward. We had been trying to work on the drag foot before I posted this even. She has had a hard time with it. Either she leaps, or drags it like an anchor it seems.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Wanted to check to see what I should be seeing from this. Swimming/opening up, Front foot heal raised? Back foot should be toe down. Leaning forward. We had been trying to work on the drag foot before I posted this even. She has had a hard time with it. Either she leaps, or drags it like an anchor it seems.
Care to share videos of her progress? Lots of help here :)

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Have her keep her chin down through the pitch. Chin up indicates throwing her shoulders back at take off rather than launch from the lower half IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802