14u new to pitching and looking for feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
That looks good, now it has to carry over in some degree to throwing with a ball. Things change when a pitcher has a ball in her hand. Pitchers vary in the amount of IR they employ, and FSR as Ueno shows.

Feb 6, 2020
That looks good, now it has to carry over in some degree to throwing with a ball. Things change when a pitcher has a ball in her hand. Pitchers vary in the amount of IR they employ, and FSR as Ueno shows.
We should be able to throw again either Friday or Saturday. Hopefully she can still do it with a ball. Would she have the potential for getting a gyro type spin with the change? Anything we should focus on if that happens?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would work on getting a little more IR in her motion and see how that goes. If you compare her arm circle in the short clip without a ball to the full motion clip you will see that the radius of the circle is different. In the clip without a ball she has lot of IR. So one way to try and get more IR is to focus on a smaller arm/ball circle, this will keep the elbow flexed/bent more, which helps. Try it as a drill and once she gets the feel of 'whipping or slinging' the ball then gradually move to full motion.

The change up is another story. What type is she throwing? There are some recent threads on the change

May 21, 2018
We have made some improvement I think but have regressed a little since the fall also. I've learned that doing the drills doesn't mean that it will always translate into the full motion and that I need to take more video since it is hard to tell while you are catching or at full speed what may be wrong. Frontside resistance is still a problem and I'm not sure if the I/R looks right. She is palm toward 3B at 9:00 which I know is not ideal but wasn't worrying to much about it but now wondering if she is rotating early?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjeNQl9VEybappBEPSLscbsUaLx5cw

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjeNQl9VEybappBBusXItQyLPPmg7A

That's some nice progress. Don't sell her/yourselves short. 👍

Feb 6, 2020
The change up is another story. What type is she throwing? There are some recent threads on the change
Sorry, by change, I was talking about the change in her motion adding more IR not a change up. I thought I had read at some point that some pitchers can end up with a bit of a gyro spin when moving to IR. I realize that I was getting ahead of myself and will worry about that if it happens.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Sorry, by change, I was talking about the change in her motion adding more IR not a change up. I thought I had read at some point that some pitchers can end up with a bit of a gyro spin when moving to IR. I realize that I was getting ahead of myself and will worry about that if it happens.
I see, I went back and looked at it, I misunderstood. Whatever spin she naturally throws is fine as far as I'm concerned, it can be adjusted later on. Bullet/gyro spin gets a bad rap but a lot of very high level pitchers have it on their fastballs, and that is something which always surprises me. I always considered top spin or slightly tipped top spin to be the best way to get the max velocity on a pitch, then I started noticing bullet/gyro on pitchers like Ueno, Finch, and Scarborough. I'm still not sure exactly how they do it.

Feb 6, 2020
We pitched yesterday after practice. She was tired and she has issues keeping her toe down when she is. You were right that things change with the ball in her hand. Looks better I think but we'll keep working on it. I have a exriseball that we can throw inside so we can work on it more often hopefully without breaking anything. We really appreciate the help. We have not been able to find any PC that does IR in the area.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Her arm action looks much improved. It looks like she's throwing bullet/gyro but that is not a concern for me at this point and just a statement of fact. The next area to work on is her posture. She has a strong launch but my feeling is that she leans forward a little too much at takeoff. The effect of this is that her hips never catch up and get ahead of her shoulders. A pitcher should feel like she is leaning forward a little at takeoff and back a little at landing. If you look at this video of Amanda Scarborough you will see what I am talking about.

Compare your daughters spine angle when she has the ball at 6 o'clock (windup not release) with Amanda's spine angle and you will see a significant difference. Amanda bends over at a lot but straightens up at takeoff. Notice how when Amanda lands she is tipped back. Try standing a little taller at launch and see what happens. This should also help keep her back foot down. Note: look at the ball after Amanda releases it and you will see bullet spin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802