14u new to pitching and looking for feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I think Jenny is probably the exception to the rule. She had a lot of physical traits like long levers that could overcome any deficits in her pitching, this one being minor. I will look for pictures of other high level pitchers but I’m almost certain that most are chin level in the same position that you show Jenny in. Of course I’m not a pitching coach so I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here is a short video of 6'0" Jennie Finch. Two things that caught my attention the most were her breathing pattern during the pitch and what she had to say about her stride at 2:10.

- Jennie Finch Pitching Instruction :: ASL Productions

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
We've been working on some of the drills that have been pointed out to us from the IR thread and working on her frontside resistance and drag as well. She has come a long way since we started working on it a little over a year ago. Wish I knew about this board sooner. Hopefully she'll catch on fast. One odd thing was that she had started throwing a drop/curve and seems to have lost it after trying to figure out IR. Trying not to throw to much at her at once and probably a good idea to not worry about movement pitches until we get some of the basics figured out. Thanks

I think I'd start her up close, with a fetcher, not a catcher. No focus at all on control. Maybe even tossing into a net. I'd find whatever effort/distance that she could throw from and maintain posture. I'd give her a cue of rolling her back foot up onto the toe in a relaxed fashion. I'd ask her where on her arm she felt brush and talk about how posture helps brush. If it helped, I might ask her to try dragging her toenails.

Move back from there with more effort/distance until things break down. At that point, she might try a few dry throws to see if she can get the motion down, then try a few with a ball. She could also try throwing with her eyes closed.

Progress into walk ins, then full motion. In full motion, she might try an effort to drive squarely towards the target, but allow the torso to open naturally as the limbs extend. Toenail dragging might help. She might also try to imagine having an eyeball on her laces and think about the eye seeing the ground or the target. It might start feeling/looking a little forced at first, but eventually she'll want that back leg to come along for the ride, but in more of a toe down orientation which tends to help posture and get the hip in position for brush

Double check everything in slow mo. Work towards building her awareness so she can quickly identify and adjust on her own.

Here's an IR progression you might progress through:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
But look at the hip positioning.
My first post I actually mentioned her hip position and bending over basically trying to get her hip out off the way which creates problem....but the comment was about the chin and chin up is fine....its actually a little harder to keep your chin up while bending over putting chin down would only encourage bending over IMO. Your chin position isn't really a big teach IMO but if I had to pick I would teach slightly up versus slightly down.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Have her keep her chin down through the pitch. Chin up indicates throwing her shoulders back at take off rather than launch from the lower half IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey all. Do you suggest chin up at "take off" or release?

Sep 29, 2014
I think at the very beginning of your drive stage its not as important but by the time you are drive knee up, hands out front at 9 o'clock which is my first big checkpoint you need to be chin level at a minimum and eyes forwards. Just do a little exercise even just sitting at your desk reading this, try and be as lose and relaxed as possible put your hands out in front and move your chin up and down...don't resist anything be lose. You should notice and feel your shoulders and back and whole posture go up and down even if just a little the more up the straighter (taller) you are and the less you hunch or bend over. So at release we definately want to be level or slightly chin up to counteract any tendency to hunch or bend over...my two cents anyway. Also as James mentioned even if they are level but are thinking chin up it good cue along with straight and tall...we just really want to encourage the correct posture throughout but especially at release since that is where its most obvious and detrimental.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom