14u help please video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2018

Ok, she's 13. Just last summer she was very accurate and could hit 54 mph. Now she's from 48-51 mph and accuracy is not the same. Here tech wasn't perfect before, but this is worse than it was. I have a pretty good idea the main problems from the video, but what do you experts see, and what drills would you best recommended to correct.

Thanks in advance

Oct 4, 2018
Her arm circle looks a bit wonky. Her backswing is too far away from her body IMHO.

Based on everything our Tincher coach tells us after 12-18 months of weekly lessons, she'll have your DD concentrate on keeping the elbow/arm closer to the body at all stages of the pitch. 6:00, 12:00, 9:00, 6:00 again, etc.

... and her elbow juts out a bit at/right after release. My DD had to correct that a few lessons ago. I was catching so couldn't hear the instruction much, but it was something they worked on.

EDIT: Take with a grain (or bucket) of salt. I'm just an observant bucket dad.

Oct 4, 2018
Our teacher would have her glove go higher, and would mention that the timing of the back leg and arm are a bit off. She wants the arm and back leg coming through hard and fast together.

But a lot looks right (to me). Good IR, Good BI. Obviously she's a good pitcher.

May 20, 2016
Looks like she is rotating her shoulder outwards at release as opposed to whipping through. That's what pushes the ball to the right of the catcher(my DD does the same thing too sometimes). Back swing needs a bit of work as well. A pitching instructor told me once that all the problems with a pitch start at the beginning of the motion.

Nov 8, 2018
Uncgrew has some good points. Especially her backswing. But she ends up in the right spot so that’s good.

467b09124fe7f0e76e92172781b65015.jpg

Here is a great picture of how straight her stem is before release. There is 0 lag. No trigger. Increasing trigger will increase speed.

757c00e73fd3230090bf514002ca92d8.jpg

Here arm poker straight at 11. Ball is out. That part isn’t the worst. The arm should have some bend to help create the whip you want.

093fa98e67f21f3ffb8ba5d65a086bef.jpg

That glove is a lever and isn’t used to her advantage. As said before could be higher and used more for power down the back of the circle. Seems a little out of sync.

Hope this helps.

Dr. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 11, 2018
looks like she is pushing the ball and lifting her shoulder up. my DD does this sometimes too, also 13. drills and more drills is the only thing that helps my DD. she looks very stiff and should be loose and relaxed. good luck

May 9, 2019
I'm not expert, not even close, so I'll refrain from commenting on the actual video. But you did mention that her velocity went down WITH her accuracy.
My DD (9yo) has the same issue. Her fastest pitches are the most accurate, and the slower ones are least accurate. You sure she's not trying to aim the ball in? That's what I think is my DD's problem, when she's facing a batter, vs just pitching with me, I think she's trying to aim it in and also try to avoid hitting the batter.

Nov 8, 2018
I'm not expert, not even close, so I'll refrain from commenting on the actual video. But you did mention that her velocity went down WITH her accuracy.
My DD (9yo) has the same issue. Her fastest pitches are the most accurate, and the slower ones are least accurate. You sure she's not trying to aim the ball in? That's what I think is my DD's problem, when she's facing a batter, vs just pitching with me, I think she's trying to aim it in and also try to avoid hitting the batter.

Have your dd “aim” if you will at a spot a few feet in front of her. Like bowling. Aim for the arrows.
This point should extrapolate to the “spot” you are looking to hit. Focus on release point to the spot so she can hit the spot at 35’
Hope this helps. Helped mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 19, 2014
First off great drive..I would not mess with that.. As some have pointed out the back swing. In pitching I feel the more we can be efficient the better. This being said I would take her arm straight back knuckles facing catcher staring closer to the body and not off to the right. Second I would address her overlap..she is a little behind in her drive sequence. Lastly her arm is a little straight on the back side if her elbow leads down the back side with more lag she could maximize her whip. There are so many good things she is going with a little work she will go far..

As far as her missing I feel she is very rotational and goes past her optimal release point. With a little tweaking on her FSR and locking down her over rotation of the shoulder I feel this will come back

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2