14 yo DD wants to catch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
She got her 1st opportunity to catch a game a couple weeks ago. Last time she caught she was probably 8 and the backstop or the umpire did most of the catching.

We were playing a team that we have always given a good game but were never able to come out on top, so it was a big game for us. Our fastest pitcher was pitching, our catcher couldn't make the game and our backup catcher's Dr said she can't catch (Knees), so DD volunteered. I winced.

I know nothing about playing the position, so maybe it was good that I couldn't give her too much to think about. I worked with her that week, learning to catch in the crouch with the equipment on. Had her catching fast pitching off a pitching machine, etc.

Game time came and she did great! didn't let any get by her and held her own on a few close plays at the plate. I attribute some of it to adrenaline and some to beginner's luck. She thoroughly enjoyed it and wants to catch more.

So what's a good way to approach this? I would like her to learn the position and get to play more and improve, but I know there are limited opportunities as the teams in the leagues she's in already have catchers.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If your DD wants to catch, let her. She probably understands more than you think she does. At her age, it probably is a lot more thoughtful than you know. I would encourage her and let her try the position and see how she does. Start teaching her how to play it. There is always room for another catcher.

Your backup catcher doesn't want to catch, so your DD would be #2 on the team. Every player on your team should learn at least 2 positions, you're helping the other catcher on the team as well as your DD.

Dec 19, 2008
If the pitcher(s) go to pitching lessons, have one of them take her to lessons with her. My 12U DD pitcher started taking one of the catchers to lessons with her once a week, and the catcher loves it. DD's pitching instructor recommends this as well. Not only will it make the catcher better, it will make the pitcher better throwing to a catcher, instead of dad.

We have 2 to 3 team practices a week. On one of those days, the pitchers spend about an hour pitching to the catchers. Then one of the catchers gets in with DD at lessons, so 2 days a week catching is good practice. I know a lot of teams that don't practice their catchers, and expect them to practice at home. I feel this is wrong. There is no substitute to a catcher practicing with a live pitcher.

Not enough emphasis is put on the catcher by a lot of teams. It is a very under rated position. But, it is one of the most important. I don't care how good of a pitcher you have, if you don't have a good catcher, non of it matters. JMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee