14 year of two videos hitting ... opinions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
he stuff FFS pointed out is way down on my list of things to work on.

I would talk to her about the idea of explosiveness and hitting the crab out of the ball. She is very tentative at the start of her swing and that makes her swing very slow to get up to speed.

Would you not say that her mechanical deficiencies are a MAJOR contributing factor to her lack of explosiveness?

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
I would say her mechanics are definitely a factor.

However, her "explosiveness" is far more evident when hitting off Tee, soft toss and on a machine.

She is tentative at the plate in a game (seen in video)
she is not tentative on the mound pitching in a game (or on the field)
(so she has "it" in her somewhere)

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
See the Don Slaught video clip I posted in the "Please Help With DD Swing". IMO, your daughter would benefit from developing a better mental image of the correct swing sequence. It's a good first step.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

However, her "explosiveness" is far more evident when hitting off Tee, soft toss and on a machine.

She is tentative at the plate in a game (seen in video)
she is not tentative on the mound pitching in a game (or on the field)
(so she has "it" in her somewhere)

IMO, confidence comes from knowing you are doing something correct.

She may not be tentative when pitching …. And perhaps this is because she is confident that what she is doing is correct.

Her swing is a different matter all together. There is little in her swing that is correct … and her body likely knows that her swing isn’t correct. She has a right to be tentative … she doesn’t seem to have a clue of how to properly perform the act of swinging a bat. You can receive that message as “negative” if you wish, but it is my perception of reality … and believe it or not … but the desire is that you see this swing as we do, and realize that a significant change in direction is needed if this girl is going to have a healthy career in the batter’s box.

Wellphyt makes an excellent point. Understand what a good swing looks like.

While it may be too late to help this girl by you personally learning a hitting system, that process would help your other children. I can’t stress enough the huge amount of time investment needed to effectively teach hitting … ... it can be an area of focus all of itself. What I’m saying is that money spent on private lessons may not only be cheaper, but also yield better results … especially in the short term. This girl’s time frame is too short … and the recommendation that she see a hitting instructor on a regular basis is good advice IMO. While we may debate various hitting concepts on these boards, the reality is that virtually any hitting system would improve her current swing.

Wish your daughter the best.

Last edited:
May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
I agree that she needs a TON of hitting work.
Several factors for us: finding someone who has a clue isn't always that easy (I have a couple of names that I have some faith in).

Comes down more to the fact that I'm unemployed, 5 kids, one income ... at the moment.

If I could I'd be taking them to lessons several times per week and have a basement big enough work on this all the time.

Oct 12, 2009

Then some of this is probably due to a poor practice routine. Not enough live pitching or at least front toss.

Some of this is also probably related to timing.

Oct 12, 2009
29y4jdj.gif

Basically what we see here is a “disconnected” swing without “coil” and “stretch”.

More simply, this is an arm-y, top-down swing.

Notice that her first move is with her arms; how they start moving before anything else. She's got to get her hips going first so that they then pull her arms around (aka middle out).

She needs to wwing with her body, not just her arms.

The first thing I would do is modify her practice routine as I suggest (more realistic BP) and see where she gets with that.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
More simply, this is an arm-y, top-down swing.

Notice that her first move is with her arms; how they start moving before anything else. She's got to get her hips going first so that they then pull her arms around (aka middle out).

She needs to wwing with her body, not just her arms.

The first thing I would do is modify her practice routine as I suggest (more realistic BP) and see where she gets with that.

CO, the purpose of the “gather”, “load”, “negative move” or “coil” is to ‘gather energy’ to ‘unload’. You earlier wrote that such things were way down on your list to work on …. Yet if you don’t first ‘load’, then it is difficult to ‘unload’. We ‘load’ to ‘unload’ … and if we fail to ‘load’, then we tap into an inferior source of force generation to power the swing.

You correctly mention that this is an armsy swing. It basically has to be given this girl’s mechanics. This girl doesn’t establish the primary source of force generation …. Therefore she has nothing worthwhile to ‘connect’ to … so of course she doesn’t ‘connect’. Since she isn’t powering her swing with her primary source of force generation, she instead finds another source of force generation …. And often what that is, when you either don’t establish the primary source of force generation or fail to ‘connect’ to that primary source of force generation, then you instead resort to powering your swing with the arms … and that in a nutshell is what this girl is doing.

Basically, IMO anyway, this girl needs a complete redo of swing mechanics.

R

RayR

Hey 5pots,

We have PM'd before about your other daughter. If you want to come down to Wallingford we can work on a couple of things that I believe will garner some immediate improvement. No strings - no committments. Getting advice is hard over the internet - it is far easier to show in person.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad