13yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well, this was pretty cool...

Admittedly, the teams Maddie was playing against in both of these hits weren't the toughest competition, but 2 OTF bombs in 2 days, in a tournament, was pretty fun to watch.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
It is about time she got to play on a field with a fence, so she could send the ball sailing over it..... Keep up the good work Maddie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Congrats!! Now that she knows how it feels to hit one OTF, she has to work on her bat flip and HR trot :cool:

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some recent hits. She recently added the step-back on her own. When I asked her about it, she said she wasn't even aware she was doing it. If it helps her get in rhythm with the pitcher, I don't have an issue with it. I sure like a lot of what's happening with her swings right now.

Apr 28, 2019
The journey continues from this thread...https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/29977-12yo-maddie.html

I don't think that the swings in this thread are ideal, nor do they represent all of what I believe is included in an "elite" swing. There are lots of areas that still need improvement in her mechanics, and I'm not in a hurry to fix everything all at once (I made the mistake of trying that early in her journey). As much as anything, this is about documenting Maddie's progress, and hopefully it can help someone else in their own journey.

As I stated in the previous threads, I'm not necessarily looking for "help". I'm comfortable with the progress she's making, and the coaching she's currently getting. That said, I welcome input and comments about her swing, and things you're seeing - good or bad.

After our team of the past 2+ years folded, we had to find a new team for her first 14U season. This was from her first game as a 13yo, as a 14U, and with her new team - an RBI double to the fence in right-center...

On this swing, the pitching was very slow, and she started way too early. She adjusted by learning her torso forward (not ideal), and letting her hands leak forward before launch (also, not ideal). Thankfully, she still got good barrel on the ball and made something good happen.

I'm excited for the journey ahead. Being Maddie's dad has been an amazing ride, so far. :)

I like her relaxed hands/arms pre pitch. I also like the Miken Freak Black!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like her relaxed hands/arms pre pitch. I also like the Miken Freak Black!!!
This is from almost 2 years ago - LOL. She crushed with the 32" MFB, but never found her groove with the 33" MFB. She did well with a CF8 for a while, until the Ghost stole her heart.