13u Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
giphy.gif

One hitters weight is on top & behind their rear leg.
One hitters weight is into/against their rear leg.
On hitter begins their sequence with a sway.
On hitter gathers to begin their sequence.

May 12, 2016
giphy.gif

One hitters weight is on top & behind their rear leg.
One hitters weight is into/against their rear leg.
On hitter begins their sequence with a sway.
On hitter gathers to begin their sequence.
I can certainly see what you mean by swaying back. I believe one the biggest misunderstandings for a lot of our DDs(especially mine) is you don't need to reach back beyond the back hip during the load to power the swing. My DD in her game swing gets beyond and really on top of her rear leg and sometimes swings from right there. Her entire backside collapses, :(. Can't imagine how much stress she puts on her back knee, my brittle old bones would snap in two, :).

Lindors negative movement and many of the greats is so subtle, I wonder why many of my DD's coaches and hitting instructors over the years has put so much emphasis on swaying/leaning back!!

Lindor keeps it simple and efficient, what a swing to model.

Anyway, thanks for explaining

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
It makes no difference if you go back or not. All that matters is that you coil inward (or hold the coil) as you go forward.

If you can sway back, and yet coil inward as you go, then all is fine. This is what the OP does in her clip with the close tee.

Of course, most people don't go back then hold the coil, they usually start opening immediately as they go forward.

Sep 29, 2014
Exactly why I want to reserve judgement if live pitching (doesn't have to be game) shows same balance issue can definitely work on it. There is still a difference though between back leg coiled versus not I think her's is even if it is bearing more weight than it should.

May 12, 2016
It makes no difference if you go back or not. All that matters is that you coil inward (or hold the coil) as you go forward.

If you can sway back, and yet coil inward as you go, then all is fine. This is what the OP does in her clip with the close tee.

Of course, most people don't go back then hold the coil, they usually start opening immediately as they go forward.
Why would anybody sway back? Seems like wasted movement and more body movements to time and get in the right sequence? I am not saying you approve of this, but just curious as to why?

What's your thoughts on starting a little open during the gather.. hoping to enforce opposite by coiling and maintaining it during the forward move.

My DD some times does the opposite starts a little coiled and then releases too early

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Why would anybody sway back? Seems like wasted movement and more body movements to time and get in the right sequence? I am not saying you approve of this, but just curious as to why?

What's your thoughts on starting a little open during the gather.. hoping to enforce opposite by coiling and maintaining it during the forward move.

My DD some times does the opposite starts a little coiled and then releases too early

Is coil used to prevent players from shifting across the pelvis to the front leg ? Does it serve another purpose ?

Jun 8, 2016
Some people use all kinds of different things for timing mechanisms..this is borderline sway back from Torres

You could argue that it is harder to move out correctly when you get too far over your back leg but as @efastball mentioned as long as you do it doesn't matter.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Some people use all kinds of different things for timing mechanisms..this is borderline sway back from Torres

You could argue that it is harder to move out correctly when you get too far over your back leg but as @efastball mentioned as long as you do it doesn't matter.

Not really. His nose is never behind his belly button. His ‘shoulders’ get loaded at the right time. His mass moves first. He uses a lot more momentum then most.

The young lady loads her shoulders at the same time she coils. She wraps the bat as well because of this. Well kinda. She’s off balance. That’s the real culprit. The answer is in the gif of Lindor/Abi. The negative puts her outta balance. The result is a one piece swing all forward. Core isn’t used.

The shoulders should coil AFTER the hips. But not by actively coiling. That’s long. The resistance/momentum coils the front shoulder.

You don’t coil the shoulders at the same time as the hips. At least not in an mlb swing. The move out loads the shoulders.

Opposite forces create a torqued middle.

May 12, 2016
Is coil used to prevent players from shifting across the pelvis to the front leg ? Does it serve another purpose ?
Coiling while moving forward to me allows the hitter to preserve that built up energy to be used when needed, to hit any pitch, any speed very suddenly.. it prevents the hitter from bleeding forward and releasing early. And of course allows the hitter to stay back which COM moves forward

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478