12yo Pitching Eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2020
Ok so DD is turning 13 in July and has been pitching since April of 2019. 19/20 was her first season in TB and she had to move up to 12U that fall. As all first years ate, it was rough. She had and has a great attitude and never gives up. She works hard and is willing to put in time to improve.

She was able to pitch indoors the first winter twice a week and definitely improved her control. 12U was eye opening for her, better hitters, faster paced games and she really fell in love with the game despite being in what turned out to be a toxic coaching situation (that story is for another time). Again worked hard and after deciding she didn't want to leave the girls she was now playing with (they were all second year 12U and moving up) we took the entire team except the HCs DD to another club. So here we are with two seasons in and I'm just looking for some advice to improve her situation- better control, location etc https://photos.app.goo.gl/WhrUg4pXJQkNYtHM6
Now I see the she is not stacked and appears to be too throwing arm stiff/ridged. Also noticed she falls off to the right at times. Any advise? Comments, concerns? All fastballs except the very last one which is a srewball.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sep 7, 2020
That was the first thing I noticed when I watched the video. For some reason it doesn't look as bad live, but then again I'm watching a lot of other things as well.

Apr 12, 2015
Not only is her arm not loose and whippy, she's in a monkey butt posture and is doing everything she can to make sure she doesn't have lower arm brush contact.

1620966081699.png

Work on the back leg, turning the laces to the catcher and really driving that knee into the stride knee. You can't have your feet pointing in opposite directions and have the hip close to the desired angle. This will fix the monkey butt and force lower arm brush. The focus on showing the ball to the catcher over the top of the circle and pulling the ball down the backside of the circle and she'll develop the arm lag needed for a good whip.

Sep 7, 2020
I wish I would have found this site 2 years ago. Now i need to break her down and restart everything except her desire.

I feel the ”monkey butt” forward lean comes from under developed core muscles. A drill that helps is pitch with right knee on the ground left knee towards catcher really stretch hip flexors by tightening the glutes “butt” and see how many pitches she can get in in 30 seconds. Rest and repeat she will gain the feel of tight gluteus helps her stay tall and consistent which will increase accuracy.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Go through the "IR in the Classroom" sticky thread and you'll get the idea. Proper arm action is the first priority, without that she won't progress any further.

Yep...her arm has no whip. Lock it and unlock it drills from the IR in the Classroom thread.

Also, poor posture...she needs to be tall when she throws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802