12yo DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
38qxt7.gif

tumblr_pwpn94AM1t1usf292o1_400.gifv

Aug 20, 2017
Hey folks, long time lurker here. I’ve always gotten great information from this forum and I was hoping you all could take a look at her swing and give me your thoughts. Sorry I don’t have the video in GIF format

She looks strong! Legit bat speed in this swing! Her posture isn’t ideal IMO. I try to teach girls to get their face as close to the ball as possible during the stride. Matt Antoneli on YouTube talks about posture a ton. He teaches to get your butt out and chest over during the stride. Watch some of his videos and see what you think. How well does she hit during games?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
OP,

The swing is ‘uphill’. The goal during the move forward is to maintain the nose in front of the belly button position until toe touch. As well as a level/downward hip line until rotation. Right now she is using her front hip as a rotational point instead of her spine. Try working those two things into her swing. Should help the backside collapse as well as the drift.

Like this:

Jun 17, 2017
She looks strong! Legit bat speed in this swing! Her posture isn’t ideal IMO. I try to teach girls to get their face as close to the ball as possible during the stride. Matt Antoneli on YouTube talks about posture a ton. He teaches to get your butt out and chest over during the stride. Watch some of his videos and see what you think. How well does she hit during games?

Thanks, she hits great during games. One of the top hitters on her team and consistently hits doubles and triples. I know she has the power to hit the ball farther but she's disconnected in a few places and that's sapping the power from her swing IMO. I totally agree with the posture being bad. It's something that has kind of developed over time and we're starting to really focus on that now more than anything else. Thanks for the feedback!

Jun 17, 2017
OP,

The swing is ‘uphill’. The goal during the move forward is to maintain the nose in front of the belly button position until toe touch. As well as a level/downward hip line until rotation. Right now she is using her front hip as a rotational point instead of her spine. Try working those two things into her swing. Should help the backside collapse as well as the drift.

Like this:

The nose in front of the belly button until toe touch is what she's been taught to do, but over time her movements have gotten kinda sloppy. Gotta reign that in!

I agree that she doesn't seem to be rotating correctly. I don't think she fully understands the rotating part so I think I need to educate her some more on WHY it's important to rotate with the spine and not hips.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Sep 17, 2009
I say this to be helpful...I'm not a fan of this swing. As others have said she is jumping out to and rotating around her front leg. If she's been taught to do that as well as exaggerate kicking her rear foot forward to finish her swing then I'd say she has some significant changes to make and I would probably suggest looking for another instructor or set of swing ideas moving forward.

However: as others have also said, what does she look like in a live swing? Sometimes girls will exaggerate things off the tee but get them working right against a live pitch. If that was the case, I'd be less of an advocate of major change and just suggest she learn and understand the criticisms of her tee swing and how she might work to change them so she doesn't burn in bad mechanics.

If her live swings look like her swing too, though, as I said earlier I'd say she's not on a good path.

(All that said, she looks very athletic and success on the field and at the plate is always welcome. But you want to be able to maximize those things, and improper mechanics will only hold her back from her highest level).

Sep 29, 2014
I say this to be helpful...I'm not a fan of this swing. As others have said she is jumping out to and rotating around her front leg. If she's been taught to do that as well as exaggerate kicking her rear foot forward to finish her swing then I'd say she has some significant changes to make and I would probably suggest looking for another instructor or set of swing ideas moving forward.

However: as others have also said, what does she look like in a live swing? Sometimes girls will exaggerate things off the tee but get them working right against a live pitch. If that was the case, I'd be less of an advocate of major change and just suggest she learn and understand the criticisms of her tee swing and how she might work to change them so she doesn't burn in bad mechanics.

If her live swings look like her swing too, though, as I said earlier I'd say she's not on a good path.

(All that said, she looks very athletic and success on the field and at the plate is always welcome. But you want to be able to maximize those things, and improper mechanics will only hold her back from her highest level).
.....and this is why I didn't want to comment...it's not a good swing....BUT I'm not convinced this is her swing, it's her swing off a tee placed in that spot trying to execute the last cue someone mentioned to her

I'm more inclined to look at a good tee swing and make comments and tweeks and then hope she keeps form during live swing.

Oct 6, 2015
Hey folks, long time lurker here. I’ve always gotten great information from this forum and I was hoping you all could take a look at her swing and give me your thoughts. Sorry I don’t have the video in GIF format

First thing I noticed is in her load she’s turning her front shoulder in away from the pitcher causing her to straighten her front arm (unhinging her elbow) right as she begins her stride. This causes her to pull the bat through the zone and then in her stride she opens her front shoulder all the way to the pitcher before contact. I think if she kept her shoulders in line with the pitcher during her load and stride and then stayed over her weight through contact it would help prevent her from standing up so tall during contact and her followthrough.

Oct 6, 2015
First thing I noticed is in her load she’s turning her front shoulder in away from the pitcher causing her to straighten her front arm (unhinging her elbow) right as she begins her stride. This causes her to pull the bat through the zone and then in her stride she opens her front shoulder all the way to the pitcher before contact. I think if she kept her shoulders in line with the pitcher during her load and stride and then stayed over her weight through contact it would help prevent her from standing up so tall during contact and her followthrough.

In the first pic you can see the turned in shoulder causing the unhinging. She should maintain her upper form through load and stride.

In the second pic she is all the way open to the pitcher dragging the bat through the zone. At this moment her shoulders should not be square to the pitcher. Again, maintain upper form and uses her hips to open up instead of her shoulders. Extend through the swing and then open up in the followthrough

If you correct these two things you’ll notice a marked improvement. She’ll gain a lot more power and bat speed as well by keeping her upper body form together to contact and not unhinging.

One drill that would help is doing half swings or “contact swings” on the tee. Basically have her load, stride, and swing, but stop at contact. Check that her shoulders stay in line during load and stride and that there is still a bend in her arms at contact. Once she masters this, do extension swings. Same as contact swings but stop at extension (bat pointing to the pitcher). Then put it all together with a full swing with followthrough.

Hope this helps!

A2E0E647-8751-46E7-B115-C99AE821E2C5.jpegFBE09A3F-8AE7-4D4B-A1F7-62AD515526B3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478