12yo DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2017
That's great! Thank you so much for taking all that time to explain it. I think I understand better the sequence and can help communicate that to her better. Thanks again!!

Sep 29, 2014
So just as an example from another thread and why i really want the live swing. @Eric F; if don't want these used for this purpose let me know and I'll delete them and this post.

Here is a picture from a tee hit of follow through, she has a reverse C going leaning way back and looks off balance.

But I'm not going to critique that because I know that isn't her game swing follow through it looks like next picture, the reverse C isn't there I can draw a straight line from the top of the back of her head to the back of her knee very balanced and controlled. Now I look at your DD pic and see same thing but should I critique it....I don't know

Attachments

• badfinish2.JPG
    badfinish2.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 18
  • badfinish3.JPG
    badfinish3.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 17
  • badfinish.JPG
    badfinish.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 15
May 24, 2013
So Cal
So just as an example from another thread and why i really want the live swing. @Eric F; if don't want these used for this purpose let me know and I'll delete them and this post.

Here is a picture from a tee hit of follow through, she has a reverse C going leaning way back and looks off balance.

But I'm not going to critique that because I know that isn't her game swing follow through it looks like next picture, the reverse C isn't there I can draw a straight line from the top of the back of her head to the back of her knee very balanced and controlled. Now I look at your DD pic and see same thing but should I critique it....I don't know

I would say that the rearward lean displayed by Drizzle's DD is excessive, but it may be completely different in a game swing.

My DD's rearward lean is a bit exaggerated on that particular tee swing, largely do to some of the other things that were being exaggerated at the time. Personally, I want to see the pull-back over the rear hip. I think it's an important part of a good swing.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
I would say that the rearward lean displayed by Drizzle's DD is excessive, but it may be completely different in a game swing.

My DD's rearward lean is a bit exaggerated on that particular tee swing, largely do to some of the other things that were being exaggerated at the time. Personally, I wan't to see the pull-back over the rear hip. I think it's an important part of a good swing.
and in Drizzle DD swing she is more far forward over the front foot and it is excessive but how much is tee and how much is her real swing I can't tell. You also mention other things were going on during that tee session with your DD and that's my point it's a tee session so you are working on things...it's not your reaction to a pitched ball it usually focusing on a certain aspect maybe during that tee session the emphasis was on a long follow through which is why is looks excessive.

Jun 17, 2017
So we’ve been working some on her posture and making some tweaks here and there. Trying to get rid of that reverse C when she finished. Trying to get her to hit the ball more out in front too. We’ve still got plenty to do, but wanted to see what you all think about the changes and where we should go next.

Sorry, just video off of a tee, no live pitching videos to upload:(

Oct 2, 2017
Drizzle take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Others with more experience than me may have a different take. What I see that is going on is that her stride is setting the body up, more specifically the hips into the wrong position at toe touch. This in return forces her body to have the c shape that you are dealing with. Once her body is set up this way at toe touch she has no choice but to have everything (Hips, shoulders etc.) to open up and rotate around a posted front leg. This causes her to swing around the ball, instead of to and through the ball. If you look at the set up of a pro you will see when they stride to toe touch their hips are set up to allow them to stay closed or framed to the ball. This allows them to swing through the ball, not around. Somebody with more experience on the forum can tell you whether what I'm presenting is accurate or not. I believe all of this is due to the Stride. Just my 2 cents. She is doing great!

Sep 17, 2009
She's toned down the leap onto the front leg thing, which is good. She's still, however, arm-swinging around a posted front leg. I don't agree that her back-but-open load is bad. She gets into a good launch position. The problem is what happens next. What should happen is a hands-driven barrel turn at the rear shoulder and a tilt that works the barrel behind and through to the ball. What she is doing instead is executing a classic arm-powered swing. When the lower body drive/tilt engine doesn't power the the barrel to the ball, the arms have to do it.

Oct 2, 2017
She's toned down the leap onto the front leg thing, which is good. She's still, however, arm-swinging around a posted front leg. I don't agree that her back-but-open load is bad. She gets into a good launch position. The problem is what happens next. What should happen is a hands-driven barrel turn at the rear shoulder and a tilt that works the barrel behind and through to the ball. What she is doing instead is executing a classic arm-powered swing. When the lower body drive/tilt engine doesn't power the the barrel to the ball, the arms have to do it.

I don't know if this was in reply to my post, but I will just ask, What is left for her body to do if she is already opened up like that. How can she perform any of the things such as turn the barrel or tilt etc.? She would have no choice but to power it with the arms around the ball, correct?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of the things that jumps out at me is her hands at the level of the ball at contact. I suspect her mental image of the swing is the barrel level to the ground at contact. What we want to see is a diagonal swing plane angled to the pitch location, resulting in the hands being above the ball at contact, and the barrel working in the plane of the shoulders.

As others have commented, we are seeing a swing largely driven by her arms, which is not ideal. If this was a hitter I was working with, I would introduce the idea of using the hands to turn the barrel to contact (forearm rotation) and connection to the torso with this kind of work...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom