12yo DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I wanted to update you all. We’ve been working since the last video I posted a few months ago on trying to correct her posture and get her to use her hips properly and TTB. We still have a lot of work to do, but I wanted to see what you all thought.

Much improved imo.

She seems to create stretch quickly. A good thing. I would have her move from the middle more and see if you could get rid of the reach with the front foot. Which in turn opens her early. While working on that I would let her back foot flare a bit out. It will help her stay closed a bit longer as well. Let her experiment with how much.

The sequence is pretty good and so is her force production. I think she is gonna be a big hitter for years to come. Fix the reach and see where she’s at.

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks a bunch for the insight! I really appreciate it and will work on implementing those suggestions.
I really like the big forward move. She generates a lot of power with it.
She does get on top of her front leg which keeps her very tall, creates a steeper bat angle, and allows some forward drift. She compensates by dropping her hands.
2 suggestions:
1. Stride to heel instead of toe. Striding to heel will keep her into her backside (glutes and hamstrings) instead of to her toe (quadriceps). She'll stay back better, create a deeper swing path, and not come out of her swing as easily.
Here's a good drill for creating the feeling of being against the front leg instead of getting on top of it.

2. Instead of dropping hands to the ball, tilt the spine over the plate via hip hinge. (heels again rather than toes) Front forearm should raise to level with the shoulder plane for maximum connection and energy transfer. Arm bar is perfectly fine....takes the slack out=connection. See Ken Griffey.

May 12, 2016
Some have already touched on it..hip hinge, posture etc. I can see improvement as well. Some have talked about coming out of her swing, my DD has the same problem, and many more TBH, lol. However, your DD like mine needs to maintain posture into contact. She's coming out of her swing a little at contact because she is not keeping posture

Check this video out, this guy talks a lot about posture and staying connected

@22-30 secs, this is what your DD is doing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802