12YO DD Help (Updated 13yo now)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I see very little to no drag in the tee swing. The tee swing looks really good in my opinion. In the live ball swing she dumps the barrel behind her back shoulder and that’s where the drag comes in. The fact that she consistently pulls the ball and is early with the barrel dump is a testament to her athleticism. if she gets rid of the drag she will be scary to pitch to!
I see same thing. Her tee swing is good. Her hands leave their connection to the shoulder too early and she gets armsy/weak/slappy/frailing. That swingrail thing works but not at full speed. deltoid drill from front toss will work too.

Apr 17, 2019
Posture:

Looks to me like she needs to understand that she can accomplish this just with her body, the hands are just going for the ride.

ETA: Though I agree, the tee swing looks pretty darn good to me. In both, I see her head pulling off at contact a bit. This would affect her swinging under balls, and could be why she's only having success at the pull side; she may be missing all the things that get deeper in the zone b/c of the pulling off. Show her Carlos staring at the tee after contact like in the preview ^, that's what you want her to do.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
I see same thing. Her tee swing is good. Her hands leave their connection to the shoulder too early and she gets armsy/weak/slappy/frailing. That swingrail thing works but not at full speed. deltoid drill from front toss will work too.
Can you send me a vid on deltoid drill? Is it like Epstein drills or neck slot stuff? Basically a connection issue?

May 12, 2016
CB, this guy talks about posture a lot.. might be helpful.

Looks to me that the young lady drops her hands to drop the barrel in zone in order to get on plane. Because she does not have great posture, her barrel path is around the ball(only path the barrel can go because the body is in the way) instead of through it. She's creating a long swing, I can totally understand why she needs to start early and has trouble with change ups.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We still got drag! She’s a strictly pull hitter. Timing is consistently early (not the worst thing). Swings under a lot of balls. I’ve worked on fixing her swing for a long time. She feels the drag. We call it the Dragon lol! Believe it or not it’s better than what it was. She’s playing up on my 14U team and has been ok. One video is us hitting weighted balls where you can see the barrel dump. The other is a stride check drill we do to try to get to a good launch position. I posted her blast metrics down below. Any help is appreciated

Her head gets behind her bb during her tee swing. Not good.

Which translates into her toss swing as a reach and backside collapse. Her back leg gives a bit during her load as well. Just accentuating the problem.

I would have her start in stance at 50/50 or 60/40, not 30/70 and keep the head in front of the belly button or still until the forward move.. I would also make sure that the back leg isn’t collapsing during load(it shouldn’t) and see where you’re at.

if she keeps the hinge she has now, she should become more sagittal in her load. Which cleans up a lot.

1593976104847.gif

see how springer needs no back shift to create a load. Looks like a mini Yelich. It’s just one style but thats the goal. A little more advanced but with practice is attainable. That’s what I would work on. Good luck !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee