12YO DD Help (Updated 13yo now)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
A consistent difference I see in the tee swing, front toss swing and game swing is the front elbow being down in the tee swing and not in the others.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
A consistent difference I see in the tee swing, front toss swing and game swing is the front elbow being down in the tee swing and not in the others.
Good catch Ski! Did not notice that. Do I leave it alone or tinker with getting it down some?

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Good catch Ski! Did not notice that. Do I leave it alone or tinker with getting it down some?
Maybe do some front toss with her just focusing on the elbow being up for five swings then down for five swings and get her feed back on what she feels with each.

Nov 16, 2017

Her game swing is better because it is higher. She gravitates to a circular swing path and that works with pitch up in the zone. When the ball is lower it looks to me as though she wants to continue using that path so she drops and drags.

Knob should replace the front elbow.

I have 12u and a 14u team and had them do the Mike Trout warm up swings before they hit and it makes a big difference.

May 16, 2019
1594212616968.png1594212616968.png

In the Video W=W posted you can see how his belt loops are rotating towards the pitcher as the upper body is still going rearward. Doing that should help distribute her weight ratio as W suggested. She's probably going to need some pullback from her back and scap muscles. The Trout swings are awesome too but it won't address the timing issues going on. Some real nice things going on with her swing both doing an excellent job IMO.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Her game swing is better because it is higher. She gravitates to a circular swing path and that works with pitch up in the zone. When the ball is lower it looks to me as though she wants to continue using that path so she drops and drags.

Knob should replace the front elbow.

I have 12u and a 14u team and had them do the Mike Trout warm up swings before they hit and it makes a big difference.

Bold above. can you explain further what this helps. My DD does this when she is on deck and i believe it promotes her hands dropping in her swing and allows for poorer posture. I would rather her be doing a Ryan Braun style warm up, level and at shoulder to head level. That to me i think would help her feel keeping the hands at the shoulders during the swing and promoting proper posture. Again, my DD is a serious work in progress, but i am just trying to understand what i may be missing in this warm up as it seems to ignore posture. Ideally DD would be practicing a bat path and posture of a strike pitch on deck, but she doesn't seem to want to. thanks in advance.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Bold above. can you explain further what this helps. My DD does this when she is on deck and i believe it promotes her hands dropping in her swing and allows for poorer posture. I would rather her be doing a Ryan Braun style warm up, level and at shoulder to head level. That to me i think would help her feel keeping the hands at the shoulders during the swing and promoting proper posture. Again, my DD is a serious work in progress, but i am just trying to understand what i may be missing in this warm up as it seems to ignore posture. Ideally DD would be practicing a bat path and posture of a strike pitch on deck, but she doesn't seem to want to. thanks in advance.
I don't see Trout working on his swing. It's just part of his routine working on clearing his mind and relaxing his body to get ready for 'the moment'.

When you step into the box you'd better have a clear mind focused on the present and the body relaxed or you will most likely be carrying the bat back with you to the dugout.

Nov 16, 2017

The question is why does a player drop their hands. They are doing it to cheat or outsmart the system, which of course fails. They unintentionally think if they lower their hands that they are getting the bat closer to the ball and cutting the time. When a player drops their hands, the hands drop, then they swing. It is a two step problem.

What the Trout swing does is several things. It promotes a single step swing that starts with the hands high. He is clearly thinking "swing down". It is almost impossible to swing down and drop your hands. The second thing this does is get the player feeling "through the ball" and not around. Players really want to pull out, turn out, and roll over. This works on getting the stay up the middle swing. I actually think is is useful to have them hit a ball off of the ground and then slowly bring the height up.

Nov 16, 2017
I don't see Trout working on his swing. It's just part of his routine working on clearing his mind and relaxing his body to get ready for 'the moment'.

When you step into the box you'd better have a clear mind focused on the present and the body relaxed or you will most likely be carrying the bat back with you to the dugout.

I actually think there is a purpose in what he is doing. watch here at 6:37, where he is emphasizing staying up the middle and not rolling over or hooking. To me watching him do this based on what he has said, it is like he is in the on deck circle saying in his head "stay up the middle" while exaggerating a complete up the middle golf type swing to help him accomplish this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802